What's new

How to tell if fan is running

absresin

I'm hard of hearing a bit. Reading a lot here about fan noise. Did the Microsoft updates Tuesday and during the restart I got the thermometer! Not sure what to do so I waited a bit and restarted. No problems since but I'd like to know if there is any way to tell if fan is actually running if this happens again? If fan is not running then I'll ask for a replacement. Note, since I have done a reset and with all the downloads and restarts I had no thermometer or shut downs for heat. Also read on here about not defragging an SSD and set that up too. Thanks again for any help on telling if fan is actually running.

Liam2349

There's a lot of information about defragging SSDs - you should leave the Windows default on. It will defrag your SSD from time to time, and the Windows team says this is a good thing, as SSDs do fragment and when they hit a certain limit they will cease to function correctly.

Here's why I leave it on: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

As for your fan issue, you're not supposed to be able to tell when it's running, but when updating Windows it should be running fast enough for you to feel air coming out of the top-right corner.

leeshor

I think the word defrag isn't a precise term for what Windows is doing. What Windows does in the background is a file reorganization. Only the files that should be or need to be made contiguous. It is NOT the same thing that would happen if you actually ran the defrag utility. It is not a total disk reorganization in the traditional sense of running the defrag utility.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen some monitoring tools display fan speed on other systems but I don't see it listed for the Surface so there may not be a fan speed sensor or it's not accessible by user programs.

OP
A

absresin

Thanks everyone! I did feel at top right during the reset updates and felt some heat but didn't feel actual air movement. Is the thermometer symbol there to say fan isn't running. Be nice t0 have a signal that fan wasn't turning on when it should.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used a Sound meter to measure the fan noise so if you have a phone that has an available Sound (db) Meter you could determine from that reading if the fan was on. Yeah, not as convenient but I'll assume your just looking for confirmation the fan is working at all. I used, Sound Meter on an Android.

If you run the mic along the top edge you will pickup the loudest sound right above where it gets the hottest... further away the sound level decreases. if there's no difference the fan is not running.

RémiM

It might sounds stupid, but on my SP3 when the fan is on, even very slowly, I can smell it. Every single time. Yep, I can smell it. The air inside the SP3 must smell something. It's hard to define. It smells like "brand new" (even if my SP3 is not brand new anymore), or a little bit like inside a new car.

When the fan is off, it doesn't smell anything.

PS: I am not on drugs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might sounds stupid, but on my SP3 when the fan is on, even very slowly, I can smell it. Every single time. Yep, I can smell it. The air inside the SP3 must smell something. It's hard to define. It smells like "brand new" (even if my SP3 is not brand new anymore), or a little bit like inside a new car.

When the fan is off, it doesn't smell anything.

PS: I am not on drugs.
Does it help if you are on drugs? :) which kind?

I detect a faint smell of elderberries ... :D

bluegrass

I detect a faint smell of weed when I'm near mine whether it's on or off. Hey Greyfox. did you find an app to use your phone as a sound meter. Do you think there is an app for detecting smells with your phone. Maybe there's one for my MSBand. I think it has every kind sensor there is.

Last edited:

daniielrp

I never hear the fan on my i3 unless it's performing a system firmware upgrade.

I'm not really fussed about needing a signal or sign for it, if the fan is not working, the SP3 overheating would be enough of a sign :p

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I detect a fain smell of weed when I'm near mine whether it's on or off. Hey Greyfox. did you find an app to use your phone as a sound meter. Do you think there is an app for detecting smells with your phone. Maybe there's one for my MSBand. I think it has every kind sensor there is.
The Android app is called "Sound Meter" ha, just checked and there are 3 or 4 with the same name. :)

There's a Sound Meter app in the Windows Store but it appears to be by a different (possibly shady) developer
"Decibel Meter" appears to be a better choice for Windows. If you have a plugin microphone on a cable it would probably work to monitor itself. I dong know about Windows Phone.

iOS has a few to choose from.

bluegrass

I think I'll go do the new firmware update and see what it smells like during the update.

New firmware update went fine. No fan - no smell. I don't know if my fan has ever come one. I've never heard or smelled it.

Last edited: