What's new

How to tell if my S3 has built-in 4G or not?

OddJack

Looks like it has the tray at the bottom, but how can you tell it from the device manager, and how do you tell if there is a sim card is there already or not ( other than opening the tray) I want to check through Win 10.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, was just wondering. Hit start, and type in system information, then have a look at the components tree on the left hand side of the window and see if there is anything listed under modem (this is not a guide, this is just me hazarding a guess with my non lte surface 3 on my lap)

OP
O

OddJack

On the page that you are talking about, on the left side there is modem, but if I highlite it nothing shows on the right side.
There is "surface 3 modem device" under network adapters in device manager. That one seems to be a better indicator of it can recieve 4G signals.

Do all surface 3s come with sim card slot regardless of if they can use it or not?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can confirm that on my non lte surface 3 there is no surface 3 modem device in device manager on the latest build of Windows 10.

The non lte surface 3 does not have a SIM slot or tray. I've never even seen where it is on the lte model. Where is it?

OP
O

OddJack

left side of where the keyboard connects, abut one inch to the corner, there is a tray with a small hole on the right side of it.

Yillbs

left side of where the keyboard connects, abut one inch to the corner, there is a tray with a small hole on the right side of it.

If you see " Surface modem device " in the device manager, then you have a modem. Additionally, when you go into Settings > Network & Internet, you should see options for your LTE connection. This is only available for devices with LTE firmware. If you have the LTE firmware, then you have an LTE device. However, as others have mentioned, get a paperclip, or the supplied tray opener, and open the tray and find out :)

Plantje

So, it looks like you got an LTE version. As it is about $ 100,- more expensive I am wondering how come you didn't know?
I think if there is no SIM card the software will mention that as soon as you activate the modem.

OP
O

OddJack

If you see " Surface modem device " in the device manager, then you have a modem. Additionally, when you go into Settings > Network & Internet, you should see options for your LTE connection. This is only available for devices with LTE firmware. If you have the LTE firmware, then you have an LTE device. However, as others have mentioned, get a paperclip, or the supplied tray opener, and open the tray and find out :)

If I click on the wifi icon, together with list of wifi available it gives the mobile option that can be turned on or off, doesnt say "LTE" but I guess that's what you meant. Under the settings it says cellular At&T or something like that.

OP
O

OddJack

So, it looks like you got an LTE version. As it is about $ 100,- more expensive I am wondering how come you didn't know?
I think if there is no SIM card the software will mention that as soon as you activate the modem.
I didnt know because the seller didnt mention it. Yes, there must be a SIM card there because it never gave any messages. But does having a SIM card makes a difference if I am not with ATT ( I am with Boost)?