What's new

How to undo/revert a Microsoft Dock update?

wpcoe

tl;dr
Is there a way to undo a Surface Dock Update to return to the previous state?

Long version:
In another thread (On AC power, does SP periodically intentionally let battery charge down?) I deduced that the Surface Dock may have been adversely affected by the update.

I had found the "Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0" on MS's web site, downloaded & installed it. After I did, I found the dock occasionally (randomly) doesn't charge the battery while plugged in. Battery icon in Windows Taskbar would say "plugged in, not charging," as the battery ran down. Rest of the Dock, i.e. the video, network & USB ports worked fine.

Today the battery ran completely down and turned off the computer. After that the LED light on the Dock connector would slowly flash. After disconnecting the dock from both the SP2017 and AC power for a while, it is charging properly once again. Until the next time that it doesn't...

I'd like to revert to the previous (firmware?) version in the hopes that I don't have a Dock hardware failure of some sort. Anybody know how?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
tl;dr
Is there a way to undo a Surface Dock Update to return to the previous state?

Long version:
In another thread (On AC power, does SP periodically intentionally let battery charge down?) I deduced that the Surface Dock may have been adversely affected by the update.

I had found the "Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0" on MS's web site, downloaded & installed it. After I did, I found the dock occasionally (randomly) doesn't charge the battery while plugged in. Battery icon in Windows Taskbar would say "plugged in, not charging," as the battery ran down. Rest of the Dock, i.e. the video, network & USB ports worked fine.

Today the battery ran completely down and turned off the computer. After that the LED light on the Dock connector would slowly flash. After disconnecting the dock from both the SP2017 and AC power for a while, it is charging properly once again. Until the next time that it doesn't...

I'd like to revert to the previous (firmware?) version in the hopes that I don't have a Dock hardware failure of some sort. Anybody know how?
As far as I know Firmware updates are one way...

OP
W

wpcoe

Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. LOL!

Seriously, I fear that may be true, but I'm holding hope that maybe an older firmware can overwrite the new one. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison, but I've replaced motherboard BIOSes with older versions. I'm hoping this is something similar.

On a related topic, what do you think the odds are that Microsoft will take pity on me and replace the Dock under warranty?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. LOL!

Seriously, I fear that may be true, but I'm holding hope that maybe an older firmware can overwrite the new one. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison, but I've replaced motherboard BIOSes with older versions. I'm hoping this is something similar.

On a related topic, what do you think the odds are that Microsoft will take pity on me and replace the Dock under warranty?
There is only way to find out...ask

As far as the Firmware, I was with the Engineering Team a couple of weeks ago and know that it is in fact one-way.