What's new

How to use Remote Desktop with Lumia 950XL & Surface Book?

Ideally, one could use their Windows 10 Phone as a "remote" to control Groove Music playing on their PC across the room. Unfortunately, I don't think the developers have thought of this yet.

In the meantime, the Remote Desktop app might work as a temporary solution. I'm trying to set it up, however it's not as straightforward as I hoped. I have the app installed on both devices -- my Lumia 950XL and Surface Book. On my Surface Book, I've gone to System Properties > Remote > "Allow Remote Connections to this Computer" and turned this option on. On the phone, I've gone into the app, typed in my Surface Book's IP address, and tried to connect.

The problem is, I'm getting stuck on the step "Enter your credentials". Since I sign into my PC with my Microsoft Account, one would assume you would enter your Microsoft Account email address under "User name" and Microsoft Account password under "Password." However I only get the message "Your credentials didn't work." And I have no idea why.

One would think this would be easier today now that we have things like Windows Hello (set up on both devices). Not to mention I'm signed into the same Microsoft Account on both devices. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

OP
E

EthanDavis

Still haven't figured out how to achieve this. It really shouldn't be this difficult, given we now have things like Windows Hello on our devices.

OP
E

EthanDavis

Just an update. I was able to remotely connect to my PC using its IP address. For whatever reason, trying to connect to my computer using its PC name didn't work (yes, I made absolutely sure that I had typed my PC name correctly).

Note: My PC's IP address begins with 192.168.0. I realize that this number is a very usual IP address, probably referring to computer's address in my home network. So I have two questions:
  1. Don't IP addresses change over time? Or will I always be able to connect to my computer using this same IP address?
  2. If I am away from home, e.g. at work, will I still be able to connect to my home computer using this IP address? (Note: I have UN-checked "Allow remote connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication".)