What's new

How well do touch covers clean up?

mitchellvii

I noticed in looking at the display model at BestBuy that their blue touch cover was pretty filthy. I wanted a red one but don't want it if it is impossible to clean.

Has anyone had experience with cleaning their touch cover? Does it clean well? Durability after cleaning?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I clean mine (Cyan) and my son's (Red) by spraying some Electronic Cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbing the cover when detached from the Surface. Cleans up real nice....

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I clean mine (Cyan) and my son's (Red) by spraying some Electronic Cleaner on a microfiber cloth and rubbing the cover when detached from the Surface. Cleans up real nice....

Thanks. I honestly don't even need a cover since I enjoy typing on the soft keyboard. The only time it is a hassle is when typing in an email on Yahoo and the page scrolling makes space difficult. Trying to decide between red and black. Red looks cool and is fun but of course you can never go wrong with black. Unfortunately my local BestBuy carries every color EXCEPT red and black.

So how does the red look, good or too much?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks. I honestly don't even need a cover since I enjoy typing on the soft keyboard. The only time it is a hassle is when typing in an email on Yahoo and the page scrolling makes space difficult. Trying to decide between red and black. Red looks cool and is fun but of course you can never go wrong with black. Unfortunately my local BestBuy carries every color EXCEPT red and black.

So how does the red look, good or too much?

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...st-pictures-your-surface-pro-6.html#post23845

bosamar

If you have dirty-oily hands you're keyboard IS GOING TO GET DIRTY. Don't eat potato chips and type at the same time. lol I make sure my hands are clean before I touch my keyboard. It still looks like new after months of use. Those Best Buy keyboard are used by folks who don't care if their hands are dirty. You can't judge the keyboards by usage like that.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

It is a law of nature that BestBuy will carry 3000 brands and models I don't want and not the 2 or 3 I do want.

I was dying to try out the Yoga 13 before I made a final call on the SP. BestBuy even advertises it as a machine especially configured for them, and yet, can you see one at their store? No you can't. You can see one at damned Office Depot but not at BestBuy. Hilarious. Is it any wonder that company is on the brink? Anyway finally did look at the Yoga but although it is a sweet machine, it has crap resolution and no pen. Lenovo always cheaps out on the resolution. Their new 11s is only going to be 1366 x 768, can you believe it? Major fail. But I digress.

Russ

Has anyone had experience with cleaning their touch cover?

Mitchell --

Yeah, well, I dripped some honey on mine (black) while semi-violating Bosamar's rule. Unfortunately, I didn't notice at the time, so the honey kinda "set up." I cleaned it with a hot dishrag, and you would never know it happened.

Regards,
Russ

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mitchell --

Yeah, well, I dripped some honey on mine (black) while semi-violating Bosamar's rule. Unfortunately, I didn't notice at the time, so the honey kinda "set up." I cleaned it with a hot dishrag, and you would never know it happened.

Regards,
Russ

Thanks. I think I am set on the red if I get one. Right now I am using my wireless Logitech backlit keyboard. Maybe it doesn't look quite as cool but you can't beat backlit keys :). Also at 6'5" I have big hands and have always found touch typing on these small keyboards a challenge. I rarely take my SP away from home and if I do I can always use the soft keyboard.

Anyway, not sure how to proceed.

ryanmackk

I bought a used one and the keyboard was dirty. I used a wet j cloth and problem solved. BUT anything liquid goes on it, and u-r-fucked. It won't come out. So carefull with coffee and pop

pallentx

I use these desk cleaning wipes we have at work on the touch cover. It takes off the dingy look it can develop around the edges over time. My Surface gets a lot of use.