What's new

Hows the Surface RT running these days?

sashlon

So I used to own a Surface RT (and loved it), which I sold to gather funds to get a Surface Pro (which I also love). Now I’m looking for a second screen to compliment my Surface Pro. I have a couple of long commutes, and I really don’t like taking my Pro with me (I constantly worry about the $1000 piece of hardware in my bag), so I’m looking for a second tablet.

I can’t really quite afford a Surface 2, but I can get a Surface RT 64gb + Touch Cover for pretty cheap, and I’m just wondering if its still running ok.

Please help me RT owners. How is it running with 8.1?

oion

So I used to own a Surface RT (and loved it), which I sold to gather funds to get a Surface Pro (which I also love). Now I’m looking for a second screen to compliment my Surface Pro. I have a couple of long commutes, and I really don’t like taking my Pro with me (I constantly worry about the $1000 piece of hardware in my bag), so I’m looking for a second tablet.

I can’t really quite afford a Surface 2, but I can get a Surface RT 64gb + Touch Cover for pretty cheap, and I’m just wondering if its still running ok.

Judging by the other threads on this subject, Surface RT + 8.1 = what MS should have released last year. So it's a noticeable improvement. :) (That's assuming you get it to properly update--just remember to backup the recovery partition to a bootable USB key in the recovery options, no need to delete the actual recovery partition unless you're desperate for space.)

Dutchpiet

Hi have been surface RT 64GB owner since December 2012, with new 8.1 update its now trouble free, glad I kept it, would I buy a second original surface? depends on price difference,

OP
sashlon

sashlon

Hi have been surface RT 64GB owner since December 2012, with new 8.1 update its now trouble free, glad I kept it, would I buy a second original surface? depends on price difference,

In my country right now I can get a Surface RT 64gb + Touch Cover for $394. The Surface 2 is $638 for 64gb with touch/type cover not included. The 32gb is $527.

compnovo

It's running great.
Immediately following the update from Preview to 8.1 some of us were experiencing low battery life issues but that is now resolved. I've had the Surface RT since it was released last October and am still very pleased with it. Too pleased, actually: I can't justify moving up to the Surface 2.
:big smile:

PhalanxPunk

I love my RT running 8.1. I didn't have any problems when it was running 8.0 but it seems a lot smoother and a bit faster with 8.1. I like it so much that I'm going to be replacing my 7 inch Android tablet with an 8 inch Windows tablet very soon.

Omni

Love my Surface RT with 8.1. Runs faster than 8 did and has much more functionality than 8 as well. You wont regret it but it will seem slow compared to your Pro.

Hstakz

Had my rt since Feb of this year. Have been having trouble with internet explorer and crashes and stuff but seems ok now. The rt is bloody slow in my view. Games from the store lag a lot, web pages are really buggy (probably just me).
However I love my rt and always have.
Tegra 4vs Tegra 3 is a night and day comparison!

Jglnaz372

Have had the RT since it was released last year. I like 8.1 and have had no issues since the update.

Some games as Hstakz mentioned above do lag and studder. Other then that I find the RT enjoyable to use.

Some good deals are out there for Black Friday and getting a RT for under $200 might be the ticket.

OP
sashlon

sashlon

Yeah I picked up a 64gb RT. I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the 8.1 update process went.

I love it. Its a great companion device for my Pro.

ibenzawla

I have never been this impressed by a tablet before. My biggest complain pre 8.1 was the internet which was sluggish and slow. But 8.1 upgrade appears to have solved that. Also did some online research and made some changes here and there making the browser faster and much more reliable. Internet explorer is very important on the RT because in some cases it fills the gap left by the lack of apps. Just type in a web browser and access it in full just like a PC. I can't speak for the iPad because I have never used it however I know that it is the king of apps. But the RT falls in a different category IMO. It is a very serious tablet for serious people.