What's new

How's the Touch Cover's touchpad?

Codevine

Heyo,

I'm thinking of buying a Surface Pro as a replacement for my current notebook and I'm wondering how good the Touch Cover's touchpad actually is. Unfortunately there is no way to try the device in a local shop or anything like that, and I also don't know anyone that has a Surface RT. So far I haven't really read much about it, seeing that everyone is only talking about the keyboard. I'd really appreciate it if some of you could tell me what the experience is like and if you'd use it like you did with your last notebook (if you had one). Or is it that bad, that you'd rather ignore it and always take a mouse with you?

Thanks, and merry christmas! ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Excellent but a little on the small side. Don't really notice that though. Vertical and horizontal two finger scrolling work very well. Very accurate and one of the better windows track pads I have used actually.

JP

robertsurface

It's my first experience as I never owned a notebook and it takes awhile to get use to but I really like it. Much better than going without it and using the Surface's built-in keyboard IMHO.

Sometimes links open up by just hovering on it and other times I have to click on the link. Not sure why but that is the only thing that has troubled me somewhat because if you touch the wrong link, ....

bosamar

Microsoft has released a Trackpad Settings app which has offered greater flexibility to the RTs keyboard.

ZachBui

the trackpad isn't that bad and is useful for scrolling. I usually combine scrolling and touching links with my fingers.
But I use a mouse when I want to complete something very fast.

compnovo

I find no need for a mouse, the touch keyboard and its trackpad work fine and I like how light I can travel when I don't carry accessories.

My last portable was an Acer One netbook, which has a 92% keyboard. I find the touch keyboard easier in that the layout is almost full size so touch typing is more natural. It only took a little while to get the hang of but there is a bit of a learning curve, the "touch" is different from standard keys.

If I have any complaints at all it would be the right/left click buttons, they're hard to see in low light. Pretty minor quibble, though.

Griff

I went from a MacBook Pro to the Surface & touch cover. I'm a pretty heavy Office user and the touch cover's track pad is just fine. I've never felt the need to use a mouse with my Surface.

bosamar

I went from a MacBook Pro to the Surface & touch cover. I'm a pretty heavy Office user and the touch cover's track pad is just fine. I've never felt the need to use a mouse with my Surface.

The purpose of a tablet is no mouse!

I personally have had no problem with the Touch keyboard or the trackpad. The only minor complaint would be the click buttons are a little small and placed a bit too close to the bottom edge of the keyboard for me.

ZachBui

I think that was my main problem for me, but I did get the type cover as a christmas gift and I like the feeling of the trackpad.