What's new

How's the Wi-Fi & bluetooth chip set up?

CrippsCorner

The biggest problem I've had with my Surface Pro is the conflict between Wi-Fi and bluetooth... meaning my accessories are almost unusable when Wi-Fi is enabled. I have been led to believe that both items are on the same chip, and this is a possible reason why they conflict so much? I'm getting a Surface 2 soon, and I'm wondering if there's any difference regarding this to how they've been made?

joeka

I've had my Surface 2 connected via Bluetooth to a wireless speaker listening to music, while using WiFi and I didn't notice any issues at the time... If that's what you mean?

joga

The biggest problem I've had with my Surface Pro is the conflict between Wi-Fi and bluetooth... meaning my accessories are almost unusable when Wi-Fi is enabled. I have been led to believe that both items are on the same chip, and this is a possible reason why they conflict so much? I'm getting a Surface 2 soon, and I'm wondering if there's any difference regarding this to how they've been made?

I'm not very happy with the Wi-Fi capabilities. It works fine at home, but in my work place i receive the well known issue "limited".
I hope MS will fix this very annoying issue soon.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I've had my Surface 2 connected via Bluetooth to a wireless speaker listening to music, while using WiFi and I didn't notice any issues at the time... If that's what you mean?

Sort of, yeah. I mean originally I wasn't sure where the error was... i.e. was it with my Surface, or the bluetooth accessories I was using. However I've now come to the conclusion it's definitely the Surface :(

With my bluetooth audio receiver running at the same time as Wi-Fi, my connection drops from 14Mb/s to 0.5Mb/s. Tried this on my girlfriend's iMac... no issues.

With my bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Sculpt Comfort) running at the same time as Wi-Fi, every 5 seconds or so the cursor it stalls, and then flies across the screen to catch up. Tried this on my girlfriend's iMac... no issues.

Tried my girlfriend's Magic Trackpad (which works fine on her iMac) but alas, once again I get the same issues of stalling on my Surface.

I've installed a new router, no difference. I've tried lots of router and Windows configuration changes, no difference. I refreshed Windows 8 & 8.1, no difference. Just over the weekend I done a complete factory reset on the Surface... the audio receiver is having the same issues, I've not tried the mouse yet.

I think, ultimately I need to contact Microsoft for a replacement? As it doesn't seem like this is a normal characteristic problem...

Back to the point of this thread though, I know I was asking about Surface 2, but is there anything different on the Surface Pro 2 PCB set up as well? Thanks for reading, I know it was a long one!