What's new

HP ditches Windows RT tablet plans, Microsoft Surface to blame

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
hp-sign-logo-5.jpeg

Hewlett-Packard originally planned to release a Windows RT-powered tablet later this year. Due to Microsoft’s recent Surface announcement and the high cost of licenses, however, the PC maker has scrapped its RT tablet plans. The rumor was first reported by SemiAccurate, which is also hearing that “just about every OEM out there is scrapping one or more [Windows RT] designs, with most renewing Android efforts with every resource at their disposal.”

Continue Reading @ HP Windows RT tablet canceled, Microsoft Surface to blame

Ollie

And so it begins. How do they expect Microsoft to make any money if they don't charge for the software?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Not surprising and I'm sure it is just a power play for some of the OEMs. Why not try and negotiate better terms? However some will play along, Samsung, HTC or whoever and then guess what HP is going to look stupid (again) for being behind its competitors and late to market with Windows RT devices. HP certainly doesn't have the best track record when it comes to tablets.

Skywaffle

Super Moderator
Think HP will ever try relaunching WebOS again? :crazy:

J/K, HP needs to stick to making printers, and to a lesser extent laptops. I am sure many still feel burned over their other tablets

Ollie

Think HP will ever try relaunching WebOS again? :crazy:

J/K, HP needs to stick to making printers, and to a lesser extent laptops. I am sure many still feel burned over their other tablets

WebOS has a slim chance to none in succeeding now. Google scooped up almost all of the coders on that project.

One of my favorite comments in one of the articles that I read was "Google buys WebOS for zero billion dollars."