What's new

Hyper Tube for Youtube

Rich OReilly

Anybody using Hyper Tube for YouTube playback?
I've had nothing but issues with it freezing up and stream interruptions.
I tried upgrading but still same issue.

What are others using for YouTube Metro apps?

nipponham

You mean “Hyper”, right? I use it and even paid for the pro version. That’s how much I like it. Customizable home screen, snap view that automatically adjusts to the window size, fast, easy, multiple downloads of 1080p videos and mp3s, ability to play and browse simultaneously, ability to browse subscribed channels and playlists and pin them to Start… just to name a few features that I like.

There was one time when the app would open but would immediately shut down anytime a video was selected to play. Deleting then reinstalling the app fixed it. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

daniielrp

I use the YouTube web site? why use a metro app?

I was hugely frustrated with IE, it would play a video for 10-11 mins then just give me spinning circle. I had to force refresh, then skip back or forward in the video to get it playing again. Every video, 10 mins, and dead. Hence why I got Hyper.

You mean “Hyper”, right? I use it and even paid for the pro version. That’s how much I like it. Customizable home screen, snap view that automatically adjusts to the window size, fast, easy, multiple downloads of 1080p videos and mp3s, ability to play and browse simultaneously, ability to browse subscribed channels and playlists and pin them to Start… just to name a few features that I like.

There was one time when the app would open but would immediately shut down anytime a video was selected to play. Deleting then reinstalling the app fixed it. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

I also have the paid for Hyper, I think it's great. The developer also seems great, I had an issue once where it wouldn't play any videos (turned out Google changed the API, again...). I sent an email and he responded, told me easiest option was to use the "web" view rather than "hyper" view for the time being, but a few days later it was back to normal!

I really like hypertube, I use it all the time as my preferred method of YouTube content delivery. in fact I prefer to use metro apps if one is available rather than browser clients

Hyper is great. If you have playback problems, you can switch to the YouTube player under Settings->Player (although it can be difficult to skip forward and back accurately using touch because of YouTube's tiny progress bar.)

kozak79

I use HyperTube. It's great but you need to set one thing. Change the default playback to 720p, and you won't have any issues. The freezing happens because by default it will stream at the highest resolution and the buffer can't keep up, no matter your internet speed. This has also been an issue on apple devices using the official youtube app. I have a 50/25mbps connection at home and I still have trouble playing 1080p content without letting it buffer first.

daniielrp

I use HyperTube. It's great but you need to set one thing. Change the default playback to 720p, and you won't have any issues. The freezing happens because by default it will stream at the highest resolution and the buffer can't keep up, no matter your internet speed. This has also been an issue on apple devices using the official youtube app. I have a 50/25mbps connection at home and I still have trouble playing 1080p content without letting it buffer first.

Maybe you need faster internet :p

My default is 1440p, using 160Mbps broadband, never have any issues.