What's new

Hyperlinks in Excel not working - existing files not shown in OneDrive

Surface-steffi

Hi there

to adminster my pupils and lesson dates, I use an Excel file that I store in my OneDrive (on the Surface2, on my PC (Win7) and my Laptop (Win7). So whichever of the three I use, I have access to the file. To get to know the names of the countless students better, I always take photos. The folder with the photos is also in the OneDrive. I insert a hyperlink to the photos next to the students name, so whenever I click it, the photo of the student shows up.

It worked perfectly fine last year - on all devices. Now, I face the problem that the surface tells me it cannot open the photo file, when I click on the link. The photos have long been synced, they ARE in the respective folder when I open it via the Explorer. The link shown is correct. But still, Surface does not open any photo. And, very strange: I tried to insert a new link to a photo on the Surface, but when I navigate to the photo folder (via 'Insert hyperlink', then going to the folder), there are no photos shown there... I am absolutely helpless.

shot.PNG

As I said, it worked fine last year. Anyone any ideas?

I haven't installed anything in the meantime, I do run the automatic update, though.

Thanks in advance

st.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to confirm this is a Surface 2 running Windows RT?

Sometimes people post Surface 2 when they mean Surface Pro 2 and if by chance it is a SP2 then is it still running Windows 8.1 or is it on Windows 10.

OP
S

Surface-steffi

Hi Grey Fox, not, it's not Pro, just Surface 2. So it should be Windows RT.

It's so strange, because everthing worked well last school year.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Grey Fox, not, it's not Pro, just Surface 2. So it should be Windows RT.

It's so strange, because everthing worked well last school year.
I'll venture a guess that a malicious graphics vulnerability led to disabling this feature by default but there might be a solution... I just wanted to make sure b4 I went off looking for the wrong thing.

have you applied all updates, including all MS Office updates to the Surface 2?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Surface 2 Excel 2013 version is 15.0.4745.1000
(not sure why that looks like a link... it's not.)
I was able to Insert a Hyperlink to a picture in my pictures folder. Save the workbook, close it,
then open it and it will open the picture when I touch the link.

Might be a setting somewhere...

I will look later... must go now.

OP
S

Surface-steffi

Version 15.0.4745.1000 is the one I use!

I cross-checked: I can link to any other pic in any other folder. It seems to be a OneDrive-related problem. And it's not only jpgs in the OneDrive that don't show up (thus cannot be linked). I see all the folder in the OneDrive in the respective window ('Insert link' window), but the files are not shown (refers also to .docx files).

But opening OneDrive files in general is no problem. The Excel file itself in in the OneDrive as well. It's just in the 'insert link' menu that the files don't show up.

St.

Last edited:
OP
S

Surface-steffi

I have re-set my surface completely. Problem still existing. I wonder: Has the version of Win RT changed since I purchased the Surface, so that the change in functionality is due to that?