What's new

Hyperlinks in Win8 Mail

reach

Hi there,
just wondering how you dial with the fact that Win8 Mail doesn't or poorly supports hyperlinks.
Copy/pasting link without keyboard is a nightmare.
I haven't tried, but I'd be surprised if there is a better, or even a real good ModernUI mail program in the store. Is it?

Cheers,
reach

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Copy/pasting link without keyboard is a nightmare. I haven't tried, but I'd be surprised if there is a better, or even a real good ModernUI mail program in the store. Is it?

I was expecting a flood of reccomendations to you. Instead, I'll give you something that really works well in Windows 8.1, including mail, (POP, IMAP), caledars, notes, hyperlinks, and archiving. Wonderful performance on the Surface Pro 2: Outlook 2013.

There. I said it.

daniielrp

I was expecting a flood of reccomendations to you. Instead, I'll give you something that really works well in Windows 8.1, including mail, (POP, IMAP), caledars, notes, hyperlinks, and archiving. Wonderful performance on the Surface Pro 2: Outlook 2013.

There. I said it.

Don't forget in addition to POP and IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync is now also supported :D

It's stupid.

Autolinkification is something that almost all web developers know how to do. Yet the Windows 8 Mail client, developed by one of the most powerful software companies in the world, doesn't do it.

I'd send a feature request but requiring my full name to be viewable by EVERYONE who'd browse the Windows Store throws me off.

... It's stupid.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget in addition to POP and IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync is now also supported :D

Thanks for that, daniielrp ...
Exchange with autosync is the primary way I use Outlook 2013. Mail Rules are updated reliably.

Win 8 Mail looks like poorly conceived freeware. Apple Mail is a clean look to a sophisticated client. Wish Microsoft would do the same with Win 8 Mail, including handling hyperlinks per the OP complaints.

Wayne Orwig

It's stupid.

Autolinkification is something that almost all web developers know how to do. Yet the Windows 8 Mail client, developed by one of the most powerful software companies in the world, doesn't do it.

I'd send a feature request but requiring my full name to be viewable by EVERYONE who'd browse the Windows Store throws me off.

... It's stupid.

I suspect they are waiting to see what the outcome is on the Apple/Samsung lawsuit. Clickable links in emails are one of the prime targets for that lawsuit. I don't know the whole store, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that is is somehow related.

I suspect they are waiting to see what the outcome is on the Apple/Samsung lawsuit. Clickable links in emails are one of the prime targets for that lawsuit. I don't know the whole store, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that is is somehow related.

Now it's triple stupid.... :/

OP
R

reach

Wonderful performance on the Surface Pro 2: Outlook 2013.

Negative sir. If I'm not totally wrong, Outlook is a pure Desktop application. That means no gesture zooming and no whatsoever optimisation for other gestures. That's a no-go on the tiny Surface screen and without keyboad/mouse.
I can't tell you exactly what the issues are, but I started with the SP2 using Thunderbird and it was a very bad experience. Should be the same with Outlook (apart from being a costly choice)

I agree with Javispedro, it's just stupid. It's a basic thing which we're used to since... Win95? I don't believe in the lawsuite thing, why can any other program including all sorts of MS eMail derivates do it, just Win8 Mail not?
Does anybody know if MS acknowledges this issue as a problem?

guymalloc

I installed Windows Live Essentials on my surface pro, using Live mail client from a desktop link to access my pop3 accounts, could use for outlook.com and others, I expect......

bluegrass

Negative sir. If I'm not totally wrong, Outlook is a pure Desktop application. That means no gesture zooming and no whatsoever optimisation for other gestures. That's a no-go on the tiny Surface screen and without keyboad/mouse.
I can't tell you exactly what the issues are, but I started with the SP2 using Thunderbird and it was a very bad experience. Should be the same with Outlook (apart from being a costly choice)

I agree with Javispedro, it's just stupid. It's a basic thing which we're used to since... Win95? I don't believe in the lawsuite thing, why can any other program including all sorts of MS eMail derivates do it, just Win8 Mail not?
Does anybody know if MS acknowledges this issue as a problem?

Wrong. I use the two finger zoom all the time in Outlook 2013. And yes, they haven't released the metro version of Outlook yet. That will be a free upgrade for existing Office 2013 users.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wrong. I use the two finger zoom all the time in Outlook 2013. And yes, they haven't released the metro version of Outlook yet. That will be a free upgrade for existing Office 2013 users.

I also use zoom gestures with Outlook. Waiting for Metro, but happy right now. I am a very heavy email user, with attachments, rules, calendar, multiple addresses, and folders.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When the Touch First version of Office is released Outlook will be included...

With that said Office 2013 is very capable of using Touch and supports Zoom, Scroll and Swipe. The OSK does work in Outlook.