What's new

I Am Sure This Has Been Covered But...

OP
O

ohbythebay

I saw a Surface RT teardown, and can't find a Wolfson DAC. Thanks for sharing the photos.

ps.

I used AMB Labs DAC on my Surface.

So I was trying to find this...was it a kit ? Which model ?

Also, does the Surface support power through the USB ? In other words could I use any USB dac ? Thanks !!! OOps...one more question

How does the surface handle USB music out? In other words do I just plug in the DAC and play anything I want or are there settings that I have to adjust so that music does not come out the onboard speakers ? Thanks

Last edited:

ArnoldC

Yeah, it does. I have a thread named Surface and AMB DAC, that another member confirmed use of the FiiO DAC.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

J515OP

Super Moderator
So I was trying to find this...was it a kit ? Which model ?

Also, does the Surface support power through the USB ? In other words could I use any USB dac ? Thanks !!! OOps...one more question

How does the surface handle USB music out? In other words do I just plug in the DAC and play anything I want or are there settings that I have to adjust so that music does not come out the onboard speakers ? Thanks

Wow, amazed by the Surface again. I really wasn't expecting this but Surface is able to power a USB speaker without issue. I have this piece of junk that came with my monitor Amazon.com: Lenovo THINKVISION USB SOUNDBAR ( 40Y7616 ): Electronics.

21Wo12Rjm7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I tried it on battery and didn't think it would work. I thought I might also need to try it while the Surface was connected to a power supply. I was very happy to see that it worked on battery though and power wasn't necessary though I'm not sure how much this will degrade battery life. I simply plugged in the USB and it started playing sound through the speakers. No identifying device, select output or anything requiring effort. Simply plug and play.

ArnoldC

Those USB speakers have tiny amplifiers that draw less power than an external USB drive, like the 750GB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex that I use.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Those USB speakers have tiny amplifiers that draw less power than an external USB drive, like the 750GB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex that I use.

I agree, they are a whopping 2W RMS :eek:mg: I was still surprised that they were plug and play with the Surface and it actually drove them quite well. Of course any USB peripheral is going to have it's own set of power needs but I suspect the Surface can put out the standard USB 5V at 1A, though it may only be able to push 0.5A. Key boards and mice, ok. Heated coffee warming plates or recharging your Android phone, probably not so much. Well at least if you want to have any charge left to actually use your Surface that is.

OP
O

ohbythebay

Yeah, it does. I have a thread named Surface and AMB DAC, that another member confirmed use of the FiiO DAC.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Thank you Arnold...I asked because i have been given an awesome recommendation for this DAC -http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14

The user review (from people I trust) is here - REVIEW: Schiit Modi DAC $99 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

ArnoldC

I reviewed the Schiit Asgard at one time, pretty nice. Let us know how it sounds with the Surface RT when you get it.

ps.

I can't help it... there's this post in that link you shared asking about the Modi for his 128kbps MP3 files. Was that a joke??

Last edited:
OP
O

ohbythebay

I reviewed the Schiit Asgard at one time, pretty nice. Let us know how it sounds with the Surface RT when you get it.

ps.

I can't help it... there's this post in that link you shared asking about the Modi for his 128kbps MP3 files. Was that a joke??

LOL...first..I am impressed you went that far into the thread on audiokarma...bravo. And you'd be surprised what you see there...I love the sight but some posts are very good..some..very bad...

Hey, I may get the Modi but right now more interested in yours...if its a kit, is there a complete kit (all parts, just assemble/solder yourself) or do they just sell the boards ? Thanks !

ArnoldC

Semi-kit. Board(s) and parts. There are several configurations, and they have an RS Components BOM for them.