What's new

I bought a Surface Pro 3 a week ago, and I love it

samtoohey93

Hi Guys,

I have recently finally purchased a SP3 after much waiting and my old laptop finally dying. I have had a SP2 and I loved that but gave it to a friend as she was much in need of a new computer and I have been given a work PC to use as a portable.

Even though MS are probably going to announce the SP4 soon, I am fine with owning an older generation of Surface.
The unit is fantastic and the screen real estate is awesome. The 3:2 aspect ratio is great for side by side documents and folders. As well as apps side by side.

The Battery life as well is actually really good. I purchased an i5 128GB/4GB ram model (I couldn't afford the higher up config of 256GB/8GB model), and it easily lasts me 9 hours on a charge, more if I'm out and about doing work with it as a tablet.
I'm a real estate agent by trade, and I use this as my daily driver. an example is last Saturday I had appointments and open homes galore. It is a full on day Saturdays in sydney real estate, so I need something to power through a 7am start til 5 to 6pm finish.

This did that in spades! there was a bit of driving inbetween I admit and i wasnt using it the whole 7 to 5 day. However, when I was, I had the screen brightness up a bit to see what I was writing (damn glare), and had Wifi off most of the day.

Needless to say I am very impressed. I wanted to share my experience with anyone looking to maybe pick up an SP3 or wait a little longer, and trust me:
PICK ONE UP! Best decision you will make!

malberttoo

Hi Guys,

I have recently finally purchased a SP3 after much waiting and my old laptop finally dying. I have had a SP2 and I loved that but gave it to a friend as she was much in need of a new computer and I have been given a work PC to use as a portable.

Even though MS are probably going to announce the SP4 soon, I am fine with owning an older generation of Surface.
The unit is fantastic and the screen real estate is awesome. The 3:2 aspect ratio is great for side by side documents and folders. As well as apps side by side.

The Battery life as well is actually really good. I purchased an i5 128GB/4GB ram model (I couldn't afford the higher up config of 256GB/8GB model), and it easily lasts me 9 hours on a charge, more if I'm out and about doing work with it as a tablet.
I'm a real estate agent by trade, and I use this as my daily driver. an example is last Saturday I had appointments and open homes galore. It is a full on day Saturdays in sydney real estate, so I need something to power through a 7am start til 5 to 6pm finish.

This did that in spades! there was a bit of driving inbetween I admit and i wasnt using it the whole 7 to 5 day. However, when I was, I had the screen brightness up a bit to see what I was writing (damn glare), and had Wifi off most of the day.

Needless to say I am very impressed. I wanted to share my experience with anyone looking to maybe pick up an SP3 or wait a little longer, and trust me:

That's a great testimony! I love my SP3. 3:2 is the sweet spot for me also.

kristalsoldier

I have the same unit and have been using it since the day it was released in North America. The battery life has been fantastic...and the device itself has been amazing to use. I love the concept and execution. One thing though, I had imagined that I would be using the pen a lot more that what I actually do. My SP3 has been across the world a number of times and has never failed me. It has always run cool and silent! I am actually thinking of buying the newly released Surface 3 (without the keyboard and stylus) to use as a scribble and writing pad. I did buy the Dell Venue 8 Pro for that but I have not been too impressed with the writing functions - plus it is a bit too small for my tired eyes!

Glad you like your SP3!!!! Enjoy!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I used to always buy last years model of computer for the savings, it's not a bad way to go.

VickiFL

Hi Guys,

Congrats! I bought the same model that you have, and I love mine too.

Johnny365

I also got mine 2 weeks ago and love it. I feel like when I am traveling and it's in my laptop bag, I have to be careful even though it's in a urban armor case.

compnovo

Hi Guys,

I too have the same model, and it's amazing. I think you're going to be very happy with it.

Tsurugaya

If the glare bothers you (OP) you might consider an anti-glare screen protector, quality suffers marginally but you'll be able to watch it in bright sun light.

InspectHerGadget

I had to return my i7/256 for replacement due to the common hazy yellow line down the LHS.

I love it nevertheless especially after spending more than a week using an Asus F202e, a cheapie. It made me realise just how good and how fast this SP3 is.

I probably will update this SP3 once it is close to running out of warranty which is January 2017. It is for my business so I'm lucky it is all tax deductible.

If I had one area I think that they can and I'm sure they will improve, it is the keyboard/mouse. It is pretty good, no serious complaints but I think it is an area that my bet is, will be improved. I like the trackpad though better than the keyboard and again the keyboard is pretty good just not as good as a really good laptop keyboard (think MacBook Air or Lenovo laptops). It is however very easy to replace the keyboard/trackpad and this is a major advantage over a laptop and they do need replacing now and then.

I use it occasionally as a tablet but rarely use it in my lap. It is handy occasionally though to use it as a tablet even if just to show it off to a customer.

It is hard to complain about. I mean if it were a laptop, it wouldn't be what it is which is unique and I do use the pen every day to write customer notes. At this point I can't think of any other device I would rather have.

The other thing is the i7 is not something I have had an issue with from a noise or heat point of view. I can feel it getting warm or hot when working harder but it is pretty silent.

I've got a nice leather d-park two tone brown leather case and the pen just clips into the leather flap. Very sweet and only about $30 on ebay. It is also very heavy duty leather so it gives quite a bit of impact resistance also.

redir
WP_20150514_16_39_11_Pro.jpg

OP
samtoohey93

samtoohey93

If the glare bothers you (OP) you might consider an anti-glare screen protector, quality suffers marginally but you'll be able to watch it in bright sun light.
I was thinking about doing that but I'm not sure the impact it would have with the surface pen