What's new

I bought an iPad, might sell the SP4

polbit

Despite the fear of jinxing it, I must say, my brand new SP4 i5/8/256 has been flawless so far. Once all the updates happened (and it was a bit painful, with a lot of them failing - I ended up downloading the Surface driver msi package and running it manually), everything works as it should. The only change I made is to limit the max CPU to 99% on battery, and have not heard the fan since.

Hello is working, sleep is working, no lockups, tablet/desktop mode switch works, and battery life seems to be 6-7 hours. It's the luck of the draw I guess, I'm just happy I got the long end of the stick for once. The consensus so far on SP5 seems to be that it will be a 13"+ device, which does not interest me at all, so SP4 forever! :)

Gtfeckner

The consensus so far on SP5 seems to be that it will be a 13"+ device, which does not interest me at all, so SP4 forever! :)

Really? Where does that consensus come from? I would kill for a 13.5" Surface Pro 5 (yeah, I know about SB, but with a type cover would be more compact, and SB´s clipboard battery life is not enough), and this is the first time I read something about that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only way they will push to a 13" screen is by keeping it in the same size chassis asked eliminating the bezels or at least greatly reducing them....

clouds5

The few articles ive seen have mentioned a bigger, 4k screen. Obviously nothing concrete.

If they really go for 4k, they first need to fix all the scaling issues. On top of that: I don't know anybody who is asking for more pixels. But I guess the numbers have to go up, whether it makes sense or not. Instead it would be nice if we'd get a surface that is focused on battery life.

kristalsoldier

If they really go for 4k, they first need to fix all the scaling issues. On top of that: I don't know anybody who is asking for more pixels. But I guess the numbers have to go up, whether it makes sense or not. Instead it would be nice if we'd get a surface that is focused on battery life.

This which is a principle I wish they apply to their (prospective) phones too!!!

Gtfeckner

That´s exactly what I think.

I´d like a bigger screen, but pixel density is already more than good enough.
A 4K display in a 12-13" device does not provide nothing in terms of user experience, but exacerbates the Surface´s and Windows 10´s worst problems: battery life and Window´s inability to properly scale old programs to high resolution screens. I use my SP4 heavily for engineering, and not one of my programs looks "normal" at 2736x1824 pixels. Going 4K would only worsen the situation (not expecting these programs to go "modern user interface" anytime soon).

But... like you said, big numbers sell, so I guess it´s very likely they will do that.