What's new

I broke down and bought the Lumia 640 XL today ... now what?

Arizona Willie

This is my first " smart " phone so I have no clue what I am doing.
Had to go to AT&T to get this phone .... booo ... but I paid cash and no contracts, just month to month so I can switch anytime I wish -- to T-Mobile the kid in the store said. Doesn't work with Verizon. Dunno if that's true or not.

Went to Window forums but didn't much care for the forum I found there.
Is there a better place to go to keep up to date on this phone and find answers for how to do things without bothering the bejesus out of everyone here :) ?

kundas1

its just like your SP3.. but smaller... and you can make fone calls... there is no learning curve for this device. I own the Lumia 1520 which is the same size but more powerful.. very fun device to use. also reason why U cant use it on verizon is because they use CDMA still... not GSM

Compusmurf

I have one. I got it from the MS store so I didn't have to deal with contracts. You cannot use it on Sprint or Verizon (or any virtual services that use their networks) You can use it on T-Mobile but you have to request through ATT to Sim Unlock it (free) or through a paid service to SIM unlock it.

I have both 640 and 640xl. I'm using the windows insider 10 preview on the XL.

I would SUGGEST highly that you do NOT install that at this time. Too many bugs for use on your "only" phone. Give it time.

Other than that, it behaves like windows 8.1

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, it's my only " cell " phone but I have a land line in front of me all the time except when I'm out.

It has already replaced my Surface for bedtime reading. Don't have to hold the Surface up and keep changing hands because my fingers get tired. The phone is much smaller but, thankfully, the text is crisp and clear and I can read it easily.

Set an alarm for this morning and it was good I was half awake because I never would have heard it. May have to keep the old flip-phone around just for the alarm.

That's the one drawback I've found. The sound is not loud enough. Even on 10/10 setting.

I've got an old Motorola S9 Bluetooth headset I'm wondering if that will connect to the phone.
I'll try to check that out today.

The sound isn't too bad in a quiet room but in a store or something it would be difficult to hear.

Lots to learn

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never used a windows phone, but on other OS's there are often multiple sound levels, one for your ring tone, one for your alarm, one for music etc. Not sure if this is the cae for win phone, maybe someone could chip in. A quiet alarm clock would be a deal breaker for me.

cereal killer

This is my first " smart " phone so I have no clue what I am doing.
Had to go to AT&T to get this phone .... booo ... but I paid cash and no contracts, just month to month so I can switch anytime I wish -- to T-Mobile the kid in the store said. Doesn't work with Verizon. Dunno if that's true or not.

Went to Window forums but didn't much care for the forum I found there.
Is there a better place to go to keep up to date on this phone and find answers for how to do things without bothering the bejesus out of everyone here :) ?
You're in the right spot :) You won't bother the beejesus out of anyone by asking questions, thats what everyone is here for. Ask away! The 640XL is pretty darn sweet. I think it's a steal for the price. I own the Lumia Icon on Verizon and came over from Android. You'll find Windows Phone is very customizable and a lot of fun to use. I was a huge Android fan, still think it's great, but I wouldn't go back to it. I like Windows Phone much better.

Hopefully with Windows 10 mobile right around the corner we'll start to see a lot more apps.

CrippsCorner

Well, it's my only " cell " phone but I have a land line in front of me all the time except when I'm out.

It has already replaced my Surface for bedtime reading. Don't have to hold the Surface up and keep changing hands because my fingers get tired. The phone is much smaller but, thankfully, the text is crisp and clear and I can read it easily.

Set an alarm for this morning and it was good I was half awake because I never would have heard it. May have to keep the old flip-phone around just for the alarm.

That's the one drawback I've found. The sound is not loud enough. Even on 10/10 setting.

I've got an old Motorola S9 Bluetooth headset I'm wondering if that will connect to the phone.
I'll try to check that out today.

The sound isn't too bad in a quiet room but in a store or something it would be difficult to hear.

Lots to learn

Wow that's insane regarding the alarm! iPhone's have 16 volume increments and I actually use my alarm on level 1 and it never fails to wake me up... throughout the day it's on a 4 :)

Sometimes I do wish it could go quieter actually, because I fear waking the girlfriend up when using it in bed.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Wow that's insane regarding the alarm! iPhone's have 16 volume increments and I actually use my alarm on level 1 and it never fails to wake me up... throughout the day it's on a 4 :)

Sometimes I do wish it could go quieter actually, because I fear waking the girlfriend up when using it in bed.
===========
I'm not using an IPhone ---- I have the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL.

Strangely, apps have volume adjustment in 30 steps but Windows functions seem to be limited to 10 / 10 at least in most cases.

It's not too bad in a quiet environment ... but out somewhere that it's noisy it would be ungood.

But then, that's me and my hearing loss.

I'm surprised they don't make them a lot louder because so many young people are suffering from hearing loss from playing music so loud in their cars and through earbuds.

I haven't tried plugging in head phones yet. Or using my Motorola S8 Bluetooth headphones. Don't know if they will connect to the phone or not.

Right now I'm wondering how I'm supposed to transfer music / pictures from my desktop to the phone. Hmmm, there's a cable that came with it .. a USB cable. Reckon that will do the trick if I use File Explorer on the desktop --- for some reason there is no File Explorer on the phone or at least I haven't been able to find it yet.

kundas1

just plug in your phone and windows will install all the drivers and then you goto computer and then you will see ur phone there and just copy and paste to the SD card easy peasy