What's new

I can't recover my Surface Pro 5

simplymarkb

Hi - I had upgraded my device to Win 10 pro a while back. I had a software update about 2 months ago. It said it couldn't initialize my cam (windows hello) and kept freezing at the login screen.

Long story short- nothing I tried worked. ultimately, I wiped the hdd and tried a fresh install which failed. If I try to install from the downloaded recovery image, it says There was a problem resetting your PC - No changes were made. If I try to use diskpart at the CLI to create a partition I get a CRC error. I can't use any partition tools to try to repair the HDD because when you try to boot from anything but the Windows recovery USB it goes straight to UEFI and nothing else. Most recovery tools fail because they require you to call the drive by the drive letter but there isn't one because it won't partition. I am beyond frustration at this point.

Has anyone ever run into anything like this? This thing is too expensive to just throw away and I am pissed at Microsoft because this was working fine until that update and since then it has been a comedy of errors.

-SimplyMarkB

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you get help for this, Mark. You obviously have tried the work the problem. If you are near a Microsoft Store and make an appointment, you may find help there. I had a similar issue on my Surface Pro 3 in 2018, which I attributed to an update. Microsoft fixed the machine over the weekend for $100.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the disk is fried. Since the SSD is soldered down replacement is very difficult even if you have the right tools for desoldering/resoldering a ball grid array chip.

OP
simplymarkb

simplymarkb

I hope you get help for this, Mark. You obviously have tried the work the problem. If you are near a Microsoft Store and make an appointment, you may find help there. I had a similar issue on my Surface Pro 3 in 2018, which I attributed to an update. Microsoft fixed the machine over the weekend for $100.
I'm thinking the HDD is fried as commented below in this thread. I am not sure if there is a MS store near me but I will have to go that route or simply try to repair it myself (ugh). It's too pricey (and useful) a gadget to throw away, but some of the repair costs I have been seeing are around 400 bucks which is about half the cost of a new low end surface.

OP
simplymarkb

simplymarkb

Note: Some have used a USB drive permanently with Windows To Go to boot and run their dead ssd Surface. A Caldigit Tuff Nano drive or Samsung SSD/USB drive works best because they support faster access than regular USB sticks.

https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Tuff-Nano-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B09GDJYL29/

I have booted using a Linux Live CD (which is one of the HDD recovery methods I have tested) all failed. If I boot from an external SSD performance will go into the toilet. LOL. I must choose between either sending it out for repair or buying a new one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have booted using a Linux Live CD (which is one of the HDD recovery methods I have tested) all failed. If I boot from an external SSD performance will go into the toilet. LOL. I must choose between either sending it out for repair or buying a new one.
Finances notwithstanding the Pro 8 is miles ahead of the 5 and it has a replaceable SSD.

macster

Bro.

I take it that you can get into the bios. If so set boot priority to USB drive. Post back if that works. I had to do some crazy things to install W11 on my S3Pro and it's running pretty good. I am going to get a refurb S7Pro from Amazon in the not too distance future. So I feel your paint.

M~

OP
simplymarkb

simplymarkb

Bro.

I take it that you can get into the bios. If so set boot priority to USB drive. Post back if that works. I had to do some crazy things to install W11 on my S3Pro and it's running pretty good. I am going to get a refurb S7Pro from Amazon in the not too distance future. So I feel your paint.

M~
Yup! I AM able to get into the BIOS. I have resolved to the possibility that after that update my SSD is fried. I am not sure if it is because of the update or simply a coincidence. Either way it sucks. I looked into the repair cost and it seemed to be around 450.00 which means I am likely better off throwing this away and buying a refurbished one. :-/

macster

Yup! I AM able to get into the BIOS. I have resolved to the possibility that after that update my SSD is fried. I am not sure if it is because of the update or simply a coincidence. Either way it sucks. I looked into the repair cost and it seemed to be around 450.00 which means I am likely better off throwing this away and buying a refurbished one. :-/

Okay

Try this and don't shake your head. Put that sucker in the freezer (wrapped of course ) for appx 24hrs. Stop, don't think about it rationally or you won't do it. Take it out, after about 10 minutes see if you can reinstall the software. I know what you are thinking "this fool is crazy", but give it a shot.

If this doesn't work, then this would be a good test bed to see if you can replace the SSD on your own since you are going to chuck it anyway. A SP6 is $557.00 at our favorite shopping place but I would go for a renewed SP7 since I'm spending your money.:cool:

M~

OP
simplymarkb

simplymarkb

Okay

Try this and don't shake your head. Put that sucker in the freezer (wrapped of course ) for appx 24hrs. Stop, don't think about it rationally or you won't do it. Take it out, after about 10 minutes see if you can reinstall the software. I know what you are thinking "this fool is crazy", but give it a shot.

If this doesn't work, then this would be a good test bed to see if you can replace the SSD on your own since you are going to chuck it anyway. A SP6 is $557.00 at our favorite shopping place but I would go for a renewed SP7 since I'm spending your money.:cool:

M~
Since I can't install anything I have nothing to lose LOL. I will do it and hope for the best. I will post if it works or not in 24 hrs. :)