What's new

I exchanged my Surface 2 because.....

fastfed

Just wondering if anyone else went through this.

I'm a huge Android fan, and an Apple hater :) but I saw the Surface RT on ebay for 199.99 with keyboard, refurbished. Wasn't expecting much from it, from the hate it got all over the net.
After some time of using it, I realized this Tablet is by far, hands down, the BEST tablet out there. MS really hit a homerun IMO, the fluidness, the abilities and functions are insanely good!

I said after a week of using the RT that if I was to break it or lose it, I'd go get a new one right away.. About 2 months later the Surface 2 came out and I was first in line.. Wait, what line, lol :( (sad people don't realize how good this thing is)

After getting the Surface 2, one of the great qualities of the Surface in general is build quality. My Surface 2's kickstand was great, love the new angle but, when I closed the kick stand I noticed one side was not flush, almost a couple mm's gap.

It wasn't a big deal but in all reality, I felt this was a defect and exchanged it. The new one has a tiny very tiny gap now, but its on both sides evenly.

Did any of you exchange your surface? and if so for what?

jamesk

I exchanged my Pro 2 for the same issue with the stand. Check the Pro 2 forum for pics. The middle of the stand was bulging out. My new one is better but the right still is not very flush.

kristalsoldier

Talking about battery... I just got off a 9 hour flight into Asia (from the UK). I removed the charger when I left home. Put the Surface 2 on flight mode. I used the Surface on the flight - flitting between a Word Document (SkyDrive saved locally) and a Chess game - for about 5 hours. I just got into my hotel and connected onto the WiFi network (comes with the room, which is a big deal because the locations in Asia that I usually travel to charge extra - and a lot extra - for internet connectivity). The battery reads 76%, which is not bad considering that the Surface has been on flight mode for the 10 hours (including the usage as mentioned above).

Edit: This is somewhat inaccurate. I forgot to mention the travel time from home to departing airport + time spent in departing airport + time spent in arriving airport + drive to hotel. Considering this, I think the performance was quite good.

Last edited:

king182

Yeah 76% is a pretty good number for that use and circumstances. Would be more than happy with something like that.

king182

I noticed that Wifi is really draining quite a lot battery. Like you mentioned, when you do not use the Internet or even turn on the flight mode you can work A LOT but Surfing the inet the Surface will need the charger after a lot faster.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get at least 10 hours and more like 12-14 on my Surface 2, this is with WiFi and Bluetooth turned on all day.

king182

But I gues you´re not constantly working for 10 - 14 hrs.? It´s with all the breaks and you beeing away from the Surface but you keep your WiFi on. I meant constantly working (Surfing, some Videoclips, word, power point,...) you see battery life go down "pretty fast" - still a fair runningtime but I expected a litle bit more.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I eat lunch at my desk, the only down time would be moving from meeting to meeting, that is usually 1-2 minutes. Really Angry Birds is the only thing that eats up my battery and that is in the evenings when I'm already down to 30-40%.

BTW - I use the adaptive brightness and haven't tweaked any of the settings. Of course I'm getting nearly 8 hours on my Pro 2. I use them both in my work flow. I use my Surface 2 as a reader/researcher and as my desk phone. It is also where my personal email comes in.

Last edited:

beman39

ok so your alternating between your 2 devices so that isn't really CONSTANT usage, which is a little deceptive on what your saying! of course your getting those hours because not 1 device is being used CONSTANTLY...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I am using them both constantly, as they are doing different things, Currently Twitter and Facebook are on my Surface 2 along with my personal email, I'm also on a Conference Call (muted as I type this), while IE, Office (Excel Pivot Reports, Outlook Work Email, PowerPoint and OneNote) are running on my Pro 2. When I finish work, I will be using my Surface 2 from 4-10 PM when I head to bed.

WP_20131107_001.jpg

WP_20131107_002.jpg

Last edited: