What's new

I exchanged my Surface 2 because.....

OP
F

fastfed

so for you guys that exchanged your surface 2... What did you do with the new "Skype and Skydrive" coupons ?

:)

I've been holding onto them for a couple weeks now.. and just "GULP" had my dad try them out on his accounts, and... THEY WORKED!

CrippsCorner

Hey Jeff very similar looking set up to mine! Samsung monitor on a glass desk
tongue.png
only difference if you have two Surface's... damn you lol.

kristalsoldier

Well, I had an interesting experience today. I am still overseas (well, relative to my permanent location).

I started working in my hotel room in the morning at around 6AM till 8:45AM with the Surface 2 on the charger. Battery had charged up all night and was at 100%. At 8:45 I left my room and met with some people in the hotel. Surface was on WiFi, off the charger, and I was on IE11 with two tabs open and with one Excel worksheet open. This meeting last about 45 minutes. I then left the hotel and returned at 9:50PM. I had left the Surface in the room and it was off the charger (deliberately left it so). It was connected - I assume - to the hotel's WiFi, but I had made sure that ALL apps were closed down (meaning they were not on the Task Manager). In other words, it was on connected standby or so I assume. On returning to the room and opening the Surface, I found that I had only 19% of battery charge left. In other words, between 8:45AM to 9:50PM with the Surface being actively used for not more than 30 mins, the device lost 89% of its charge. The power settings are at default (and this includes the screen brightness with the auto-dim feature set on).

I am not sure this is optimal in terms of battery charge. I say this because if I was using the Surface for the whole period of time, I probably would have lost more. Though, what is odd is that I have indeed worked on the Surface (with WiFi on and all other things remaining constant) even a week or so back and can swear that I got better results than this. I can't say that there have been any OS or firmware updates in the interim, though there have been Defender updates, which should not matter, I think.

Comments?

Edit: In every other way though the Surface 2 has performed like a champ. No lag. No issues of any kind and I have been punishing it! So, I am not sure if my particular device is a candidate for exchange because I still feel that the battery question (like the speaker issue) is a matter of a software/ firmware update/ optimization.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does the Hotel WiFi require a Landing Page to connect to the internet? If so that could have prevented the Surface from ever really entering Connected Standby after the first push/pull operation.

kristalsoldier

Does the Hotel WiFi require a Landing Page to connect to the internet? If so that could have prevented the Surface from ever really entering Connected Standby after the first push/pull operation.

Yes, but once every 24 hours and that 24 hour period may have run out sometime around Noon...you bring up a good point! I have to take that into account tomorrow.

So, I logged back in at 9:50PM when I got back to my room.

Last edited:

king182

Well, I had an interesting experience today. I am still overseas (well, relative to my permanent location).

I started working in my hotel room in the morning at around 6AM till 8:45AM with the Surface 2 on the charger. Battery had charged up all night and was at 100%. At 8:45 I left my room and met with some people in the hotel. Surface was on WiFi, off the charger, and I was on IE11 with two tabs open and with one Excel worksheet open. This meeting last about 45 minutes. I then left the hotel and returned at 9:50PM. I had left the Surface in the room and it was off the charger (deliberately left it so). It was connected - I assume - to the hotel's WiFi, but I had made sure that ALL apps were closed down (meaning they were not on the Task Manager). In other words, it was on connected standby or so I assume. On returning to the room and opening the Surface, I found that I had only 19% of battery charge left. In other words, between 8:45AM to 9:50PM with the Surface being actively used for not more than 30 mins, the device lost 89% of its charge. The power settings are at default (and this includes the screen brightness with the auto-dim feature set on).

I am not sure this is optimal in terms of battery charge. I say this because if I was using the Surface for the whole period of time, I probably would have lost more. Though, what is odd is that I have indeed worked on the Surface (with WiFi on and all other things remaining constant) even a week or so back and can swear that I got better results than this. I can't say that there have been any OS or firmware updates in the interim, though there have been Defender updates, which should not matter, I think.

Comments?

Edit: In every other way though the Surface 2 has performed like a champ. No lag. No issues of any kind and I have been punishing it! So, I am not sure if my particular device is a candidate for exchange because I still feel that the battery question (like the speaker issue) is a matter of a software/ firmware update/ optimization.

I noticed more or less the same thing last night with my S2 (But I´m using it at home under my noraml conditions).
I hope it had something to do with an update (was one finishing while restarting the device).

kristalsoldier

I noticed more or less the same thing last night with my S2 (But I´m using it at home under my noraml conditions).
I hope it had something to do with an update (was one finishing while restarting the device).

Well..see I was not in to notice any updates. I'll take a look to see if any updates (aside from Defender) were installed in my absence. Regardless, this should not happen - though what Jeff mentions above makes a lot of sense though.

Edit:

The last firmware update I had was on 2/11 and the last 8.1RT update I had was on 29/11. All other updates were Defender updates.

Last edited:

king182

mhm ok. Mine seems to be a bigger issue. Right after fully charging it it is already down 3% after´one minute...sh*t.

louser

I may have a battery issue too. Took my s2 off the charger at 9am and surfed the web with Facebook chat in snap view on and off while playing Xbox, more off than on. Checked my battery level now and its at 79%. That's 21% in 2 hours of websurfing off and on. Is this normal?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Installing now....135.6 MB worth....

Make sure you have your touch or type cover attached during the install.