What's new

I give up - Surface Pro is going back

machistmo

After putting up with the quirks and bugs and resetting my device 4 times I am calling it quits. I am returning my Surface Pro this morning. The Keyboard and everything else. Mouse and Extra Power supply, all of it.

I just cant use this as a productivity tool if I have reinstall all my productivity tools as often as this device requires it. Microsoft seems to think that 'Reset to Default' is a good answer for all this units issues. I have never been able to install the System Aggregator Firmware without some issue. This time it refuses to install and instead wants to leave me at a SURFACE - PLEASE WAIT WHILE WE INSTALL A SYSTEM UPDATE screen ad infinitum.

Been fun... I bought the whole shooting match, The TYPE COVER, the wedge mouse, 128Gb model, extra power supply ... I just need a device that will hold up for more than 3 weeks before requiring a complete rebuild. Sorry :(

jneikum

It sounds to me like you have a defective device. I have never experienced those issues and have completely replaced my desktop and laptop with my Surface Pro.

DOS

It's sounds like you are past the point of mere frustration; and I'm sure, many of us who deal in technology, can relate.

Good luck.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear the Surface didn't work out for you. The good news is that the other manufactures have been spurred on and there should be a lot of great devices filtering in through the year that will be good alternatives.

malberttoo

I have not had any of these issues either, my Surface has performed like a dream.

But my career field is in Technology, so I know very well the frustrations of which you speak, from time to time.

I truly hope the next device works out better for you!

Nuspieds

Well, that's unfortunate but at the end of the day, if it doesn't work for you, then you must take what you consider to be the best appropriate action for you.

For me, though, all I can say is that I have been completely 100% successful in replacing my laptop with the SP and all firmware upgrades have succeeded. The Surface-specific apps/features notwithstanding, I haven't experienced any issues different than I have in the past with a traditional PC.

I bought the SP for a reason and form factor was definitely a big contributing factor; as a result, I would have to be absolutely convinced that the entire product line was flawed as opposed to just my device before I gave up on it. That is, we have to remember that flawed devices do exist and at times you really just have to return it and get a new one. For example, it took me 3 returns before I finally got a pair of Beats in-ear headphones that fully worked. The first two failed in one ear after about 2-3 weeks, but I didn't give up because I really liked them. So I tried one last time and, sure enough, these ones have lasted.

But, again, do what you feel works best for you and I hope your decision works out for you.

OP
machistmo

machistmo

I have not had any of these issues either, my Surface has performed like a dream.

But my career field is in Technology, so I know very well the frustrations of which you speak, from time to time.

I truly hope the next device works out better for you!

I work in Network Support and handle upwards of 200 calls per month. I used the Surface primarily for remote support. That would have made the 5th time since getting the device that I needed to completely wipe it and restage the Device. Since they are new and its a personal device, I have no image for it or time to devote to creating one, meaning each time this happens I have to reset the device (30 + Minutes) go into the office to re-hang it on the domain (45 minute drive on a weekend) install the software tools I need (2 + hours for the most basic stuff). Enough already. I spend my days making other peoples stuff work, I just don't have the time to devote to keeping this device working for me. I didn't buy mine as a toy, I bought it to be a very lightweight and portable remote support unit. In the end the device is not stable enough to provide a platform I can count on to be there when I need it. I support my Corporate office and am the guy the C Levels call when they are having issues, I have to have something reliable available.

I wanted the Surface to work and I wanted it to make it. I was even considering suggesting them as part of our pilot. In the end it was the battery life that eliminated them from consideration. I am just glad nothing this unstable was delivered to remote employees.

As for another tablet, I am not sure Microsoft will take this unit I have boxed up back. The kid from Surface support sent me all over NC yesterday to the Durham POP UP Store that no longer exists. Yes you heard me, a Microsoft support rep told me A: I could return the device. (something that has yet to be determined) and B: to go to a Store that no longer exists to return the item. AWESOME - just awesome. I just do not see how these devices were released into production at this point in time. Again, the MS SHAPED HOLE IN THE WALL, where they went chasing after Apple.

Posted from my Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet2 - Not much better a solution, but at least it was provided to me.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

For being such a big established company MS is incredibly amateurish in how they do things. Remember how on launch day there were hardly any Surface Pros available? They obsess about things like dancing commercials (that don't demonstrate a damned thing the Surface does in any detail) and the sound the kickstand makes when you close it (which other than dancing hipsters is clearly the Star of the Surface commercials) but can't figure out their basic supply chain?

If I didn't know any better, my impression from watching the Surface commercials is that 1) yes, it in fact has a kickstand, 2) it makes a variety of cool useless clicking sounds and 3) it will improve my dancing. They call THAT marketing? How about a commercial with a business person showing me all the great things I can do with the Surface Pro assuming I'm not that into flash mob dance parties?

[video=youtube;l2KPQNP1Z1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KPQNP1Z1s[/video]

** After watching that, as a business person, tell me what the Surface Pro does? Right, that's my point. 98% of that commercial is DANCING. Who exactly is the target market of this commercial, future SYTYCD contestants?

C'mon MS, less cool, more functional.

P.S., I haven't had issues with resets other than when the update caused the trackpad issue, but then again, I'm not running the specialized software you are. Unless you have run that on Windows 8 before my guess is it is more of a Windows 8 issue and not a SP issue. I mean internally, isn't SP just basically an ultrabook? My Access 2003 database has been very glitchy in Windows 8 and especially Office 2013.

Last edited:
OP
machistmo

machistmo

Well, that's unfortunate but at the end of the day, if it doesn't work for you, then you must take what you consider to be the best appropriate action for you.

For me, though, all I can say is that I have been completely 100% successful in replacing my laptop with the SP and all firmware upgrades have succeeded. The Surface-specific apps/features notwithstanding, I haven't experienced any issues different than I have in the past with a traditional PC.

I bought the SP for a reason and form factor was definitely a big contributing factor; as a result, I would have to be absolutely convinced that the entire product line was flawed as opposed to just my device before I gave up on it. That is, we have to remember that flawed devices do exist and at times you really just have to return it and get a new one. For example, it took me 3 returns before I finally got a pair of Beats in-ear headphones that fully worked. The first two failed in one ear after about 2-3 weeks, but I didn't give up because I really liked them. So I tried one last time and, sure enough, these ones have lasted.

But, again, do what you feel works best for you and I hope your decision works out for you.

I have a W510 Laptop for home use, but it was just so big and Bulky, I liked the Surface being so portable and powerful. I just cannot be expected to reset the device every time MS releases firmware or a patch that doesn't install correctly. I must say I was SHOCKED at the level of incompetence displayed by the first tech I spoke with yesterday morning. I rarely call for support for anything and expect the guy on the other end to be trained to at least some degree. He was Googling the System Aggregator Firmware issue and reading me steps I already had on my screen. He even admitted he didn't know what it was at first.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Machistmo - Just out of curiously, did you upgrade your HD4000 driver from the Intel's website? The last round of Windows Updates had a modified Video Driver as well. Before cashing in, roll back the driver.