What's new

I got to give some props to Microsoft's customer service.

Hello everyone,

So, today I made a trip up to my Microsoft Store (B&M), to either upgrade my i5/4GB/128GB for a i5/8GB/256GB, or just keep the lower model that I have already. After talking to the representative, we decided that for what I was going to use it for, I could just keep the i5/4GB/128GB.

For the story, I was going to get the bigger model because I was going to use it for work. I am a web developer/designer and dabble in graphic design, as well. So, I figured I would upgrade and just do a BYOD thing. However, the more I kept thinking about it, and the more the rep and I kept talking, I decided that if my work wanted my to have more than the Core2Duo/3GB/320GB laptop that I am currently using, they should pay for it. I kept the lower Surface model.

He rung me up and I paid, but then I saw a UAG case. I ordered one from Amazon that I had a bad experience with, so I was a little skeptical. I told the rep about it and he said if I purchased it, we can try it out right there. 15 minutes, 2 representatives and a freak out later, we could not get it on and I thought that I felt the screen give. However, that was probably just me freaking out. We couldn't get it on, so I didn't get and the rep cleaned up my Surface for me and asked me to check it out to see if everything was good to go.

As I was checking it out, I notice in the upper corner by the speaker, the same place where I thought I heard something happen when trying to put the case on, a tiny thread like thing was hanging in between the edge and the glass. I tried to just get it out with my fingernail, but it didn't work and I pulled it. Yeah, well, it was a thread to the speaker. I flipped out (not to him but more like "What have I done?!"). He looked at it and said, "Oh, that's not good. Let's get you a new one."

He starts to get the new one and I ask if this was going to go against one of the Microsoft Complete repair/replacement. I am still within my 30 days of purchase with this one, mind you. He looks at it and then at me and says, "I tell you what...I will just give you the i5/8GB/256GB." And, he didn't charge me the $50 deductible or one of my replacements.

Mind = Blown! I didn't know what to say. Of course, I said thank you about 100 times, but I really was not expecting that, at all. Needless to say, I am still very overwhelmed by the entire experience. I have to give some massive "thanks" to the rep!

Just thought I would share this with you all here.

Last edited:

kundas1

very nice story, and always enjoy these types as they are far a few... seems like everyone just comes here to complain or trash the SP3 and/or MS reps... but I suspect the reason why the rep gave you that upgrade cuzz it might have been partly his fault the speaker wire came loose from trying to put on the case!

very nice story, and always enjoy these types as they are far a few... seems like everyone just comes here to complain or trash the SP3 and/or MS reps... but I suspect the reason why the rep gave you that upgrade cuzz it might have been partly his fault the speaker wire came loose from trying to put on the case!

Yeah, that is why I wanted to post my experience. I think you may be right. He was very cool about the entire thing.

Wierdninja

Glad to hear they treated you well. I have always had a great experience at the Microsoft store. I did an exchange once on the Xbox one media remote. Excellent customer service. I was treated top notch. Even better than my experience at the Apple Store believe it or not. They even gave me one of those cool Microsoft Store bags with the exchange. That's one good way to keep a customer coming back. My SP3 has been trouble free, by the way. Glad I bought it. Awesome device.

Glad to hear they treated you well. I have always had a great experience at the Microsoft store. I did an exchange once on the Xbox one media remote. Excellent customer service. I was treated top notch. Even better than my experience at the Apple Store believe it or not. They even gave me one of those cool Microsoft Store bags with the exchange. That's one good way to keep a customer coming back. My SP3 has been trouble free, by the way. Glad I bought it. Awesome device.

Yeah, I really dig the device, too. I have been searching for quite a while for a device for me, and I have actually tried out the SP3 before finally purchasing it. I have also tried the Nvidia Shiled, Samsungs, iPads...etc, but I always have come back to the SP3. I do really need it for anything other than a device that serves as just a tablet, mostly media consumption, but I guess I got spoiled.

I am first to admit that it can be an expensive device, especially when you are just using strictly as a tablet. However, with all of the features and Windoes 8.1 at my fingertips, I had to get it and stick with it. I simply cannot use another device...not after using this one.

Anyhow, they were great and I am very happy with the device and customer service. I know it helps that I got an upgrade, but I can honestly say that even without the upgrade I thought that the service was exemplary.

VickiFL

I have had nothing but excellent service from Microsoft as well. Better than I expected because they have always gone out of their way to help me with any problems. I had to call them this morning with a question about the Microsoft Band, and the girl was so knowledgeable and friendly. I realized I forgot to ask her something after I hung up, though. :rolleyes: LOL

I have had nothing but excellent service from Microsoft as well. Better than I expected because they have always gone out of their way to help me with any problems. I had to call them this morning with a question about the Microsoft Band, and the girl was so knowledgeable and friendly. I realized I forgot to ask her something after I hung up, though. :rolleyes: LOL

Yeah, that usually happens when you are already happy that things are taken care of.

I see you are in Florida. I live in Orlando. Perhaps, it's a Florida think lol...just kidding.

VickiFL

Yeah, that usually happens when you are already happy that things are taken care of.

I see you are in Florida. I live in Orlando. Perhaps, it's a Florida think lol...just kidding.

I also live in Orlando!! We've been to both the Florida Mall and Mall at Millenia stores, but mostly Florida Mall.

Kif

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. If you get a chance shot a quick email to Microsoft about your great service. I think they're pretty good about rewarding they're employees when they do something good. Although, I'm not sure if that applies to the retail staff.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great story! Thanks for sharing it. If you get a chance shot a quick email to Microsoft about your great service. I think they're pretty good about rewarding they're employees when they do something good. Although, I'm not sure if that applies to the retail staff.
Or they will deduct the cost of a Surface Pro from their pay... you might leave out a few details and just say you got great service. :)