What's new

I have been noticing.

kristalsoldier

I have a feeling this whole thing comes down to something very simple, and very simple High School in thinking. "I want a MBP because friend A got a MBP." Think about all the other purchases most of these kids make, from shoes to clothing. They want to be be just like their friends, but different. People still see Apple as an "alternative" to the big bad Micro$oft. So, they can be "different" by getting the MBP but still run with their friends.

As to the MBP over a MBA - salesmen. It is an easy upsell from the MBA when for "just a few $ more, you can get a much more powerful machine that will last longer and has comparable battery life." Lines I have overheard countless times in stores. Add in the Education discount and it is nearly a no-brainer. And, truth be told, a valid argument.

No, for most high school into college kids and parents, it is less about the tech and more about the fitting in and slight upsell.

You have a valid point there. I have noticed the same thing too! But, when the matter comes down to senior academics, then I have to start to wonder - especially about those who work on game theory and value maximization! :LOL:

Deckyon

The average college senior is not going to need much more than a basic computer anyway. Specialized computer-central graduates will, of course, be buying one that will fit their needs, but they wont be the average buyer walking up in best buy or the apple store to walk out with a machine. They will be customizing a machine on a company website with what they need and receiving it 4 to 6 weeks later in the mail. It's what I did, and still do.

The OP opened with a broad statement as someone who is working retail, trying to whittle down to the center mass and there are too many special cases.

OP
M

MarkDau

The average college senior is not going to need much more than a basic computer anyway. Specialized computer-central graduates will, of course, be buying one that will fit their needs, but they wont be the average buyer walking up in best buy or the apple store to walk out with a machine. They will be customizing a machine on a company website with what they need and receiving it 4 to 6 weeks later in the mail. It's what I did, and still do.

The OP opened with a broad statement as someone who is working retail, trying to whittle down to the center mass and there are too many special cases.

I opened with the title "I have been noticing," inviting people to discuss if they have had similar experiences. Also, it was from the perspective of being both a student and working in retail.

Of course there are special cases. I made an observation, and never said it applied universally; just with college students in my region. I think you overcomplicated it, and who knows why - my premise is finding out why, because I believe as you do that most college students only require a basic computer.

daniielrp

I hope it changes one day, but that's the way it is. :)

I'm in two minds, at least the way it is currently with OS X ensures that when you get a Mac, there is little no chance of compatibility errors and the machine will run the software fantastically due to the HW/SW integration. In fact, the experience I had with a Mac was another factor into my decision to buy a Surface, thinking the HW/SW integration would lead to a perfect Windows experience. If they did allow 3rd parties to create OS X machines, then it might lead to the situation where Windows is - some really good machines, but then truckloads of terrible laptop after terrible laptop with cheap parts and bad hardware that simply turn consumers away from Windows/computing in general.

Korlon

It's because Apple's 'wedge' design makes the mac book pro ideal to prop open doors, level unbalanced tables and in extreme cases can also scrape the dried gum from under their desks. Who says Apple computers can't multi-task?

In all seriousness.. Apple computers, more particularly the iPhone are especially handy at preventing loose leaf papers from being blown away by a draft or fan.

daniielrp

It's because Apple's 'wedge' design makes the mac book pro ideal to prop open doors, level unbalanced tables and in extreme cases can also scrape the dried gum from under their desks. Who says Apple computers can't multi-task?

In all seriousness.. Apple computers, more particularly the iPhone are especially handy at preventing loose leaf papers from being blown away by a draft or fan.

Just an FYI:

1. The MacBook Pro isn't a wedge shape, that's the MacBook Air.
2. Also, the iPhone is too light to be used as a paperweight.

macmee

I'm glad you posted this because I have a problem: I have a MacBook Pro right now and it's superiority over all other laptops I've owned has spoiled me. I want to get something with a quad core i7, but I do not want another MacBook. They're expensive and the new models are completely non-upgradable. I want:

* 8+ hour battery life
* a giant trackpad with multitouch (which I will configure within Elementary OS's spaces)
* magnetic power clip (I will break it otherwise)
* High resolution display

Right now I'm eyeing the ZenBook or Toshiba Kirabook as reviewed here, but I'm still hesitating because transitioning away from OS X means I have to do iOS deving in a VM.

All in all though, I'm thoroughly impressed with how far the macbook clones have come. The Asus Zenbook UX301LA is still overpriced IMO, but I might pick one up at some point.

edit: The ASUS has the ram soldered too, god damnit...

Last edited: