What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

godson594

So I'll start with where I came over from...

I own a Windows 8 Desktop, Macmini, Macbook air, Wacom Tablet, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone and Xbox 360... My GOAL was to drop down to Surface Pro2, XboxOne, and a Nokia 1020...

The main programs I use are Solidworks, Photoshop & Illustrator. I had to bootcamp to use Solidworks and I was sick of bringing a Wacom with me

So I sold the Macbook Air and Picked up a Surface Pro 2 - 256mb 8gb model on it's release day... Did the same thing with the Xbox One (wanted to replace the AppleTV)
-------------------

The Problems
I notice right away there is a weird flicker when I transition from a dark to light background. I ALMOST took it back for a refund because of that but I had found a thread that says it was an Intel driver and has been a known issue since SP1 days... Okay fine, I put in new driver and it fixed the issue. But now everytime there is a windows update, if I'm not careful I over-ride this and have to re-install old drivers. Super annoying and how this has been happening since SP1 and is still not fixed is beyond me.

I try running Solidworks (mind you this machine is Spec'd much higher than the Macbook I was using) - Rendering just a basic square drawing was awful... WTF I say!!?!?! - Start digging around and find some random thread about needing to change registry to make video drivers render it properly... FFS more video driver issues... I do it and it's much better now.

I need pressure to work in Photoshop so I slap in Wacom drivers, I haven't been able to get this stylus perfect no matter how many times I try and configure it. I can't run the 100+ multipoint config because of the Wacom driver. Even removing them and trying it doesn't work properly.

Arch mouse Surface edition - It doesn't track on my dark brown couch... Might not sound like a big deal to anyone here BUT every single mouse I have owned has worked here. Whatever fine... I have a mouse pad next to me now. Scroll wheel noise can't be accurately adjusted, it sometimes just loses functionality and it needs to be turned off and on to work, there's no back button (I Knew that when purchasing). I expect more from a $70.00 mouse.

Type Cover 2 - Coming from a Macbook I must admit I can't stand the type cover. It might as well not even have a trackpad on it. The keys are fine, its annoying the backlight turns off every time you leave it for a few seconds. Clicking on the keypad, dragging, zooming, ANYTHING on it is a total pain. It also loses functionality sometimes and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in real quick.

Anyways I still keep it through all this and then Microsoft releases a botched firmware update and unfortunately I was one of those who got affected by it. Shit happens I know I work in Consumer Electronics but something such as charging being broken on a major update is unreal.

Here I am two months later and guess what... The screen now squeeks/crunches on the top left corner like it is coming loose. Any time I touch near the top it makes a noise... You got to be kidding me right?! Now I have to find time to go return it for a replacement. Re-install all my shit again and basically waste a day dealing with this. If I could get refund I would at this point. I mean even with all the stupid problems I wanted to love this and for this to work for me. This Surface has been BABIED there is no reason for this screen to be doing this besides poor workmanship. I'm not the only one with the problem

I put it up on Craigslist to see if I could get any interest, SP2, Type Cover 2, Arc mouse, carrying case, microsd, all kinds of extras even another charger and obviously it's under warranty. I haven't got one email :disappointed:

Xbox one - I swore I watched a video where they miracast from a Surface Pro to the Xbox one. Well that doesn't work.. Play-to function is still in place on Xbox one but it suffers from major a/v sync issues and it's useless because of that. So this setup can't touch my ATV + Macbook combo I was running. Let down again.. Oh I even went and upgraded my router to a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 and hardwired the Xbox with Giga connections direct to the router just to see if I could fix it that way.. NOPE

Subscribed to Xbox music 99.00 a year, 2 days later they run a promo 29.99 then 49.99 - I speak to them and they can't adjust it - say cancel and re-sign up. They cancel me and I can't sign back up at promo price ha ha at this point i'm not even shocked and don't sign back up at all...

As far as getting the Nokia 1020... With everything else I have been through I decided it is not a good idea to put my faith in their phone. I feel kinda stuck here at this point.

I guess in the end i'm just super disappointed to put so much faith into Microsoft and try and get away from the Apple eco-system and sit here with nothing but failures.

I hate to say it but if Apple ever made a Macbook with a detachable screen+digitizer it would be over

/end rant

mennogreg

Sorry to hear you're having serious problems with your Surface Pro. I too have experienced some issues with mine, though in my case they're mostly related to the faulty firmware update. Unfortunately I can't offer much assistance, but you can adjust the scroll wheel noise/vibration on the Arc Mouse Surface by downloading the app for it at the Microsoft store. The keyboard light can be changed through a setting (can't remember off the top of my head where) and also by the keyboard shortcut keys next to the escape key on the Type cover. I have mine off and it has always stayed that way, so far.

In situations where you don't need the keyboard, I use the back of the type cover as a mousepad for the arc mouse.

Best of luck to you.

Dim-Ize

Wow - lots of dissatisfaction wrapped into your personal experiences. So sorry for you frustration and issues. Drivers sound like part of the problem for you and I know that can be a pain in the backside...

For me and my needs, the SP2 256 is rock solid, smokin' fast, incredibly flexible, and extremely portable. I'm totally diggin' mine and just bought a few more accessories for it. I run in desktop mode at home/office with a second monitor, external BT keyboard/mouse, USB multi-port and have just Type Cover + Arc Mouse in a Snugg sleeve for mobile. Honestly, I can't believe how well mine works.

I tend to agree with your assessment of Apple + detachable keyboard. It will happen sometime...and the world will laud their "unique ingenuity". :D

I didn't see anything in your post that would seek advice or assistance, but I can certainly understand your frustration.

I don't use Xbox, but talked my brother into one over PS4. He's thrilled with it so far. I hope you get it sorted out.

as for the nokia 1020 I just spent the weekend with one and will say it has worked well, I downloaded an update but didnt notice any difference in performance. Im coming from an android phone, completely burned out on android so wanted something different. Intially went for the nokia 1520 and loved using it to cruise the internet watching vids but as for carrying it around it bothered me, just too big and barely could use it one handed with texting. So i exchanged it for the 1020 mainly for the camera, takes excellent photos...better than my htc one x did especially in low light. I use my phone for calls,texting, camera and internet if I absolutely have to so games and app selection wasnt a huge factor for me though the store has grown quite a bit from what ive seen lately

Renigami

For the Solidworks rendering, is your suite up to date? (Proabably?). I run AutoCAD and Mudbox (at times) with the only complaint is that with many polygon sides, the change in zoom can be of a slowdown. Various views in X-ray, to shaded outlines, are "rendered" fine enough to work with.

Wacom's current Tablet PC drivers (applies in all Wacom implemented tablet PCs) supersedes the default drivers. I had to sometimes correct the calibration, but that is due to an odd angle I am using the tablet from the last time (difference in pen position and pen angle with the Surface Pro 2). This is really something on Wacom's side though, Microsoft can't get the use of WinTAB for their default drivers. Still, a win-win for me using Wacom drivers, is their option allows for a two button pen (pen, eraser, two side buttons) versus the one button pen of the Surface Pro pen. Everyone knows edge drift at the screen edges, the default Wacom drivers do not fix this, nor would they ever would without extreme coercing.

Can't relate to your Arc Mouse, I use a Logitech M570 Wireless Thumb Trackball.

For keeping the backlight on the touch/type cover on, going maximum brightness by the brightness key on the cover keyboard would keep it on. (edit, no this doesn't but I know there is a setting somewhere)

As far as build quality issues, it is bound to happen. No manufacturer is exempt from it. It is just has to come in range that any functionality is in acceptable use. For me, around the right of the front camera on the bezel, there is a significant squeak given a nominal press with my finger. Doesn't impede function. It is possibly due to overtime, the way heat is exhausted, and from how the device is oriented in heat exhaustion to affect the adhesive for the screen bezel.

I do not think you are wrong in trying to reduce device footprint, configuration, and infrastructure. And I personally believe that Microsoft is the way to go about doing so. Not to mention, with the Windows OS area, I can leverage more software (apps on iOS mean nothing) (I have Steam and the aforementioned AutoCAD, along with Painter, Manga Studio, and Art Rage). Miracast worked for me with Netgear's PTV3000 device.

And the thing is, that if you do not like one Macbook size, it is kind of an SOL situation. At least there are several hybrid convertable Tablet PC/Ultrabooks that cover the range of user scenarios to taste. If the Surface Pro 2 isn't as up to par, there are or will be other options. One thing off the bat, if pen drift is a big concern and maintaining Wacom's performance and tech is another, Wacom themselves has their Cintiq Companion (I believe their pen angle recognition and pen barrel rotate sensing helps in adjusting to any drift that may occur from positioning the tablet PC).

Last edited:
OP
G

godson594

For the Solidworks rendering, is your suite up to date?

Yea everything was better after doing a registry tweak. It has a weird issue with OpenGL.

Trust me I want to love the Surface - I had been reading about it since before the SP1 but held off for Haswell. I am going to return it and hope to god the new one is flawless, I can overlook most the problems because they can be fixed with firmware updates but the hardware being bad is a no-no. I paid way too much for this thing. I wish they would open up the port for 3rd party keyboards etc...

argggg

Last edited:
Can't agree with you more. I want badly to fall in love with my surface and even recommend it to friends but I cannot. There is too much finagling to get it functioning marginally right. We've all paid a premium ($1500+ in my case for my SP2 256 w/ tax and type cover) where one would expect it to work almost flawlessly out of the box let alone having to deal with problems like it randomly waking during sleep and leaving me with 5% battery as I head to work in the morning. Sure, I know, bad firmware, power it off instead of putting it to sleep (come on!) Overall the surface lacks the polish many other vendors offer in their high end ultrabook/convertible lines. And to those proposing other makes and models as an alternative you are clearly missing the point of this thread, Microsoft's execution is to blame here not the buyer who saw and paid for advertised features and convenience and is stuck compromising and hacking their way to something barely usable.

wseverino

Steve - I feel your pain. I bought a 512GB with 8GB of RAM. I had it for 3 weeks and Microsoft sent down a faulty firm ware update that fried the UEFI. I have waited almost 2 weeks for a replacement and still have not gotten one from Microsoft.

ChemCat

Dare I say you guys came into this with a completely wrong attitude? Seem to me like you wanted the surface to succeed. This is the mentality of a fanboy.

Remember that the surface, just like everything else in life, is just a tool. It either serves your purpose or it doesn't.

When I started working on a LOB app for my company, I started working on it for iOS. Why? Because the iPad was suppose to be king and the old guys here didn't know about anything else. Within the first week, I made the executive decision to abandon iOS. It is little more than a toy. Don't know what the big fuss was. Simply too many controls missing for a serious engineering work app.

So, I went to android. Spent a few weeks on it and then gave it up as well. Again, the API's are simply not intended for serious work. And android is buggy as hell.

Then I began on a metro version. I've run into a few frustrations, but for the most part metro is what I've decided to stick with for this project.

Having the fanboy mentality is never a good idea. If you run into unsolvable problems, move on to something else.

OP
G

godson594

Dare I say you guys came into this with a completely wrong attitude? Seem to me like you wanted the surface to succeed. This is the mentality of a fanboy.

Remember that the surface, just like everything else in life, is just a tool. It either serves your purpose or it doesn't.

When I started working on a LOB app for my company, I started working on it for iOS. Why? Because the iPad was suppose to be king and the old guys here didn't know about anything else. Within the first week, I made the executive decision to abandon iOS. It is little more than a toy. Don't know what the big fuss was. Simply too many controls missing for a serious engineering work app.

So, I went to android. Spent a few weeks on it and then gave it up as well. Again, the API's are simply not intended for serious work. And android is buggy as hell.

Then I began on a metro version. I've run into a few frustrations, but for the most part metro is what I've decided to stick with for this project.

Having the fanboy mentality is never a good idea. If you run into unsolvable problems, move on to something else.

You must have read the wrong thread... That's all I can think when your calling us fanboys for being upset with a 1500.00 tool that has firmware, software and hardware issues. I don't care what company makes the product, I go with what I think would fit my needs. If you read my post you could see all the stuff I got rid of to come over and be in a "full" Microsoft Family.

I will take it the SP2 back tomorrow and get a replacement and like I said hope to god the replacement is good. I will not sit here and pretend to be thrilled with something when I'm not - that sir would be a true fanboy.

OP
G

godson594

Well a little update. I called the Microsoft store to see if I could drive down and get a replacement....

Due to the "popularity" of Microsoft products there are no stores anywhere that have any stock. All they could say is I could send it in for a repair and "had no idea" when I would get it back...

That unfortunately does not work for me being I sold my Macbook to buy the Surface as my work device.. I can't be without a machine, so I guess I have to hang on to old squeeky screen til Microsoft gets stock...

ha ha - forgive me for laughing.. At this point it's all I can do

ChemCat

You must have read the wrong thread... That's all I can think when your calling us fanboys for being upset with a 1500.00 tool that has firmware, software and hardware issues. I don't care what company makes the product, I go with what I think would fit my needs. If you read my post you could see all the stuff I got rid of to come over and be in a "full" Microsoft Family.

I will take it the SP2 back tomorrow and get a replacement and like I said hope to god the replacement is good. I will not sit here and pretend to be thrilled with something when I'm not - that sir would be a true fanboy.

I didn't say you were a fanboy. I said it sounded to me like you had the fanboy mentality going into the surface. Regardless of how great the surface might be from the perspective of before getting it, your older device was a proven device for your purpose. By getting rid of your old, proven device to get a new, unproven device, dare I say it was kinda a stupid thing to do?

I'm sorry you've been through the trouble you've described. I say get rid of the surface and buy a macbook.