What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

OP
G

godson594

I didn't say you were a fanboy. I said it sounded to me like you had the fanboy mentality going into the surface. Regardless of how great the surface might be from the perspective of before getting it, your older device was a proven device for your purpose. By getting rid of your old, proven device to get a new, unproven device, dare I say it was kinda a stupid thing to do?

I'm sorry you've been through the trouble you've described. I say get rid of the surface and buy a macbook.

You can "Dare" to say whatever you want. It doesn't change my situation of having a faulty device. Is it stupid of me to be disappointed? This device has nothing but great reviews, if I could have predicted all the problems I would have I wouldnt have sold my macbook in the first place.

I hope someone else who is thinking of switching to a microsoft setup reads this thread and has some kind of headsup / warning of what they may encounter.

I put up with more problems in this one device than all my other devices combined. If the screen would have messed up within my return period I would not be here posting about surface. I would be off to something else to try and suit my needs...

ChemCat

Oh, don't get me wrong. I completely sympathize with your situation. But again, this is one of the reasons why companies test out new devices thoroughly before they get adopted. And remember that reviews are done mostly by bloggers (aka tech dummies pretending to know anything about technology) and regular joes, who are for the most part also tech dummies.

My philosophy is this. Stick with proven devices for serious work. If you feel adventurous, get a new, unproven device and test it out first before applying it to real work.

DragonGamer

I hope someone else who is thinking of switching to a microsoft setup reads this thread and has some kind of headsup / warning of what they may encounter.

True, but lets try to stress the word "may"!

Especially those firmware effects have an incredible (I always wonder how that's even possible) disparity from device to device.
I personally have almost no issues from it, except one or two wakings from standby through the weeks, but since the SP uses a fast SSD I don't really see a point in using the standby all the time on long periods like overnight... Everything is back up and fresh within seconds.
Battery and everything else still works like before.

The screen only flickered when auto-screen adjust set in and even that seems to have stopped since some update. Additionally you can just disable that function.
The stylus isn't perfect, right, but for an amateur-artist it is perfectly usable within two or three tries with wacoms calibration. Edges are off, but still suffice to click the corners of programs, etc and you won't draw on the corners anyways.
Wacom also promised to update their calibration system in the new version of the Wacom Feel drivers "by the end of the year". Guess those are delayed tho ><
My screen isn't squeaky even now after two months... but it's well possible that it can happen from high heated usage, yet the screen of the surface doesn't really seem to become warm, only the back. You are the first one I've seen who reported that happening and not being from start like this though, so you might as well have got a faulty device.

Anyways, yes, Microsoft is quite new to the whole process of manufacturing devices.. and they proved that they are new, lol.
All this taking into account, I wouldn't give a general "warning" out though. You can just have little luck, but also get pretty happy with it :)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I completely sympathize with your situation. But again, this is one of the reasons why companies test out new devices thoroughly before they get adopted. And remember that reviews are done mostly by bloggers (aka tech dummies pretending to know anything about technology) and regular joes, who are for the most part also tech dummies.

My philosophy is this. Stick with proven devices for serious work. If you feel adventurous, get a new, unproven device and test it out first before applying it to real work.

What are you talking about? we are not companies who can test out numerous products and do quality control in different scenarios; we are consumers. We purchased what we thought was an evolution on existing proven PC technology. What we are complaining about is Microsoft's level of testing, whether that be hardware, drivers or firmware. Who cares about the reviewers being bloggers (you're all over the place) Your philosophy is sound and that is what we have done. That is why we have bought Surface Pro 2's with an advertised feature set we thought could benefit our professional work.

ChemCat

What are you talking about? we are not companies who can test out numerous products and do quality control in different scenarios; we are consumers. We purchased what we thought was an evolution on existing proven PC technology. What we are complaining about is Microsoft's level of testing, whether that be hardware, drivers or firmware. Who cares about the reviewers being bloggers (you're all over the place) Your philosophy is sound and that is what we have done. That is why we have bought Surface Pro 2's with an advertised feature set we thought could benefit our professional work.
I know we are not companies and can't afford to test out multiple devices. But I have never gotten rid of my work device(s) and move over completely to something new all at once. It's common sense.

True, but lets try to stress the word "may"!

Especially those firmware effects have an incredible (I always wonder how that's even possible) disparity from device to device.
I personally have almost no issues from it, except one or two wakings from standby through the weeks, but since the SP uses a fast SSD I don't really see a point in using the standby all the time on long periods like overnight... Everything is back up and fresh within seconds.
Battery and everything else still works like before.

The screen only flickered when auto-screen adjust set in and even that seems to have stopped since some update. Additionally you can just disable that function.
The stylus isn't perfect, right, but for an amateur-artist it is perfectly usable within two or three tries with wacoms calibration. Edges are off, but still suffice to click the corners of programs, etc and you won't draw on the corners anyways.
Wacom also promised to update their calibration system in the new version of the Wacom Feel drivers "by the end of the year". Guess those are delayed tho ><
My screen isn't squeaky even now after two months... but it's well possible that it can happen from high heated usage, yet the screen of the surface doesn't really seem to become warm, only the back. You are the first one I've seen who reported that happening and not being from start like this though, so you might as well have got a faulty device.

Anyways, yes, Microsoft is quite new to the whole process of manufacturing devices.. and they proved that they are new, lol.
All this taking into account, I wouldn't give a general "warning" out though. You can just have little luck, but also get pretty happy with it :)

"may" was a strong enough possibility for Microsoft to pull the firmware update, don't act like its a few special cases. A team of people likely lost their job (conjecture) as this has no doubt severely crippled the perception of this product

Everything else you describe in your post are the niggling workarounds that are UNEXCEPTABLE in a premium device. I work on the go and sleeping a computer vs hibernating or powering off is the reason why I purchased a Surface Pro 2. The tablet form factor REQUIRES fast on/off resuming as a platform.

My screen just started squeaking likely do to the thing being untouchably hot numerous times after pulling it out of my bag at work realizing it woke from sleep and started its high CPU utilization exercises.

Lastly Microsoft is not new to manufacturing devices, they are awarded veterans in this space. This may be a new sub-category for them but the same processes should apply. Imagine if XBOX One had a crippling firmware issued right before Christmas, Microsoft's stock price would plummet.

Last edited:
Dare I say you guys came into this with a completely wrong attitude? Seem to me like you wanted the surface to succeed. This is the mentality of a fanboy.

Remember that the surface, just like everything else in life, is just a tool. It either serves your purpose or it doesn't.

When I started working on a LOB app for my company, I started working on it for iOS. Why? Because the iPad was suppose to be king and the old guys here didn't know about anything else. Within the first week, I made the executive decision to abandon iOS. It is little more than a toy. Don't know what the big fuss was. Simply too many controls missing for a serious engineering work app.

So, I went to android. Spent a few weeks on it and then gave it up as well. Again, the API's are simply not intended for serious work. And android is buggy as hell.

Then I began on a metro version. I've run into a few frustrations, but for the most part metro is what I've decided to stick with for this project.

Having the fanboy mentality is never a good idea. If you run into unsolvable problems, move on to something else.

This guy! I bet you're 12

kristalsoldier

"may" was a strong enough possibility for Microsoft to pull the firmware update, don't act like its a few special cases. A team of people likely lost their job (conjecture) as this has no doubt severely crippled the perception of this product

Everything else you describe in your post are the niggling workarounds that are UNEXCEPTABLE in a premium device. I work on the go and sleeping a computer vs hibernating or powering off is the reason why I purchased a Surface Pro 2. The tablet form factor REQUIRES fast on/off resuming as a platform.

My screen just started squeaking likely do to the thing being untouchably hot numerous times after pulling it out of my bag at work realizing it woke from sleep and started its high CPU utilization exercises.

Lastly Microsoft is not new to manufacturing devices, they are awarded veterans in this space. This may be a new sub-category for them but the same processes should apply. Imagine if XBOX One had a crippling firmware issued right before Christmas, Microsoft's stock price would plummet.

This is getting to be an interesting conversation. While - like some others here - I empathize with your situation, I can't say that I have experienced the issues that you are experiencing. For one, I have a Surface 2 and not the Pro. I have read about experiences where users have complained (backed with photos) of de-colouration of their devices (usually, the Gen 1 models), but I have never experienced that (with my Gen 1 RT); I have also read of the battery related issues that users (both devices and both generations) have experienced. Again, I have not experienced that. I have read of folks who have had problems with the covers (both kinds and of both generations), I have not experienced that. I have read of experiences of people who have issues with updates (mainly focusing on the Surface RT and Surface 2), but I can't say that I have experienced that either. I have also read of folk who have got devices where they faced the same issue with screen flex as you have - though I have personally not faced that situation either.

I did experience - once - my Surface 2 not starting up, but that was easily fixed without resorting to any servicing or exchange on my part - though the incident did shake my confidence in the device (Surface 2) temporarily. I have travelled for long distances over longish periods of time overseas with my Surface 2 (which was my only device for work during those travels) and faced no issues. The device connected with the WiFI services that the hotels that I stayed in offered, it connected to the hotspot that I created on my phone - all with no problems of any kind.

What I am just trying to say is that like all things, sometimes there are issues with gadgets. I'm afraid you seem to be facing these issues on yours. But that does not mean that either the line of gadgets or the OEM (in this case MS) are problematic. For all the problems you are facing (and this in no way undermines your vexatious problems in any way), there are a greater number of users - of both kinds of devices across the two generations - who are not and are finding their devices to be performing just as advertised and expected. How would we account for that?

Having said this, however, I do have one specific problem with MS - especially in the context of the Surface line of devices. The problem that I have is simply this: When MS releases a product in the market, they need to be absolutely sure that the updates that they provide enhance the already existing capabilities of the products. Instead, what we see is that sometimes (more so in the case of the Surface devices) the updates cause problems which are unnecessary. One expects that MS would thoroughly test each of their updates before release. But recent history suggests that this is not the case. This is not to say that MS is the only company with which this kind of thing happens. Arguably, Apple and Google have made similar gaffes. As an end-user of technologies like these, I'd rather not face such issues and if I do, I expect the company concerned (in this case MS) issue their corrective measures ASAP (which has not been the case with specific reference to the most recent firmware update for the Surface Pro 2).

Last edited:

ChemCat

So, are you saying getting rid of your proven work tools and move over completely to unproven ones at the same time is a good idea? Boy are you in for a surprise in life if you think this is the right attitude for your professional career.

A couple weeks ago, someone posted here about their school buying 50 surface rt's before realizing they can't run Silverlight. I suppose you think this was a good idea also, not testing it out first before buying 50 units?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Wow!!! This was the most helpful and insightful post I've seen on the internet.... oh wait never mind this was just the normal jab we see everyday, carry on.....

Chem Cat is professional who has adapted the right tool to accomplish real world automated work, using technology to solve real problems. I would suggest that you become familiar with a community and its membership before making troll worthy comments, as we do not suffer a troll to live for long around these parts.

DragonGamer

Those issues ARE on a "few" special cases. If every of the many thousands (if not hundred-thousands) exemplars of this device would all have severe issues there would be far more complain.
Not to mention really serious issues like killing the device entirely, etc. That happened to very few.
Surely MS has also tested the update, on very few and little circumstances probably, but they did.

Yes and it still boots very fast and you can start a dozen programs within seconds.
Don't forget, this is a windows PC.. a full fledged PC.
How did you live before there were Windows Tablets?
I think in the cases where you really depend on instant-starts, a PC-like device is simply not the right thing to use. Which ones are the cases where you need that?
Don't tell me you are wandering all the day through dozen places and need at any of those places more than two programms or documents at once..
Why wouldn't an iPad or some Android work?

Well, then you can't really bash on MS because of the squeaking screen since that was a follow-up problem because of the initial problem.. Be happy that it didn't burn.. :/

I highly doubt those issues will noticably damage the perception of the product, especially now since that firmware update isn't up anymore, meaning anyone who buys the device now, doesn't has to fear this update.
Do you have any proof that MS exchanged the members who work on the Surface?

Whether this is something "unacceptable" is doubtworthy too if you ask me... it is how it is. An extremely complex thing like a PC in tablet format, especially one about the most powerful on the market, just can't be perfect from start... iCore Tablet PCs are still something new where you cannot relay on dozen of years of developement.

If "premium devices" as you call them, really were without issues, there wouldn't be technical aid forums for Macs either and Companies wouldn't have to test their devices throughly before adapting to new ones, like ChemCat described.
There's no perfection.

At least the Surface Pro 2 never crashed on me or failed. That's still better than quite all the desktops I had in past, except the actual one.

EDIT: BTW. because of the wacom inaccuray again: Did you ever have another Wacom-enabled laptop/device with a screen in your hands?
Even Lenovo's high-end Business line which easily almost costs double the Surface Pro 2 has inaccuray around the borders and corners. The reason is mainly of technical nature... The nonactual line which many companies still use - my college for example - is even clearly worse than the SP 2 is. And still those were surely called "premium devices"...
Preventing this inaccuray would require a very large bezel like on Wacom's CintiQ.

Last edited:
Wow!!! This was the most helpful and insightful post I've seen on the internet.... oh wait never mind this was just the normal jab we see everyday, carry on.....

Chem Cat is professional who has adapted the right tool to accomplish real world automated work, using technology to solve real problems. I would suggest that you become familiar with a community and its membership before making troll worthy comments, as we do not suffer a troll to live for long around these parts.

His posts make no sense, he rambles on about iOS APIs as a very very poor example and response in this thread. He starts his insightful posts with "we suffer from a fanboy mentality" He doesn't seem to grasp the basic tenets of posting dissatisfaction with a purchase or problems associated with releasing (then pulling) a faulty firmware. Sorry for my issuing his age but nothing he has said was either insightful or even on subject.

Obviously one doesn't put their 100% trust into a new product and throw away every other device they use before knowing the new one will work for them, that is not what the OP or I am arguing. The "perfect tool" often takes years to hone and mold to your needs (compromising both the devise and your personal habits) no one is arguing against that! HE IS IN FACT THE TROLL who has not experienced any of the issues we (and many others, hence pulling the firmware) have faced so should stop ranting about why he favors Metro development over iOS and Android or anybody burning their entire tech collection then opening their Surface present under the tree!