What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

polbit

Ok so just spent some time on chat - Gave em my creditcard to put a hold on to and they are sending out a replacement unit. Hopefully the new one is good, if not then I have to escalate and work on trying to get all my money back.

I want to LOVE this device. I'm over 1500.00 bucks into it so I expected more. In all my years of buying laptops, tablets bla bla bla I have never had this many issues with one device. A lot of the issues are driver/firmware related and I liked the device enough that I put up with it because I know it can be fixed... Bad hardware is something I can't deal with, I didn't buy this as a toy... It's crucial to how I work - I researched Surface pro since before the first one came out, I didn't just blindly jump into this, in fact I kept my Macbook Air during the entire return period of my Pro just in case it didn't work out. The problem comes with things happening after my return period (Bad screen, bad firmware, USB transfer issues) -

I understand a lot of people here don't have issues. It's not why I made this thread, hell part of me needed to vent it out somewhere where I wouldn't be told to go buy an Apple product "I was still told to go back to Apple here ha" - Fact remains there are many issues with the SP2, even if you have perfect hardware there are multiple software problems, again you may not notice them because you aren't using the same things I do (Solidworks is a perfect example - there is an OPENGL problem with SP2+Drivers that require a registry hack) -This is a fairly expensive device aimed at the professional world (hence why I hold it to high standards) This device is on it's second generation now - there's no excuse for Screen flicker driver problems when it's been an issue since SP1 especially since a driver can easily fix it, it's little BS like this that tells me maybe the team working on the SP isn't ready for prime time. Again I am holding Microsoft to high standards, they have been around forever now it wasn't like I backed this off a Kickstarter project and was unrealistic with my expectations.

Hopefully someone who is on the fence about getting a SP2 for use in Industrial Design / Graphic design stumbles upon this thread and can understand that there may be some seriously annoying issues.

Anyways - I'll post back once I get the new device and let you know how it went.

Microsoft customer care was very helpful and polite :D

I had to come back and comment. I come from a very similar background - long time Apple user, have been bored as of late with the OS X and the minor upgrades that MacBook Pros have been getting, and Surface Pro was something new and exciting. I first tried the original Surface Pro, and really liked the concept, but between the crappy battery life, some hardware issues and software problems, I sold it, intent on trying out Surface Pro 2. Sure enough, I got Surface Pro 2, and initially I was very happy. In fact, I was seeing this as a game changer for me - and sold my MacBook Pro...... Of course, that's when the problems started - the infamous crash on wake up, non-responsive touch type 2, and other, smaller issues that started driving me up the wall - legacy Windows programs that can't scale to high DPI, running out of room on 128Gb version and not able to find 256Gb anywhere, etc... In the end I decided to return it, and after reading all the issues with the recent firmware rollout, I'm glad I did.

I still LOVE the format, just not the execution. I think Windows 8.1 is great for a hybrid type devices, so instead of getting another MBP, I got a Yoga 2 Pro with 256Gb SSD. I have been fighting its own set of issues, but at least it is stable coming out of sleep and the keyboard is usable ever time... Truth be told, I'm tired of dealing with all the crap between SP1, XPS12 (Ivy Bridge version I tried), SP2, and now Y2P, but at the same time I have a hard time coming back to the Mac - I'm addicted to high-res touch screens. I'll probably keep the Y2P until next gen of devices and decide then. Hopefully SP3 will be THE device.

Sorry about your bad luck with the surface, but as a Nokia 1020 former owner(now nokia 1520) you can't go wrong with the lumia 1020 :D It is my favorite phone to date and it is a Nokia product, not Microsoft so any issues you may have with microsoft likely won't pop up with Nokia and i hear their customer support is great<3
So I'll start with where I came over from...

I own a Windows 8 Desktop, Macmini, Macbook air, Wacom Tablet, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone and Xbox 360... My GOAL was to drop down to Surface Pro2, XboxOne, and a Nokia 1020...

The main programs I use are Solidworks, Photoshop & Illustrator. I had to bootcamp to use Solidworks and I was sick of bringing a Wacom with me

So I sold the Macbook Air and Picked up a Surface Pro 2 - 256mb 8gb model on it's release day... Did the same thing with the Xbox One (wanted to replace the AppleTV)
-------------------

The Problems
I notice right away there is a weird flicker when I transition from a dark to light background. I ALMOST took it back for a refund because of that but I had found a thread that says it was an Intel driver and has been a known issue since SP1 days... Okay fine, I put in new driver and it fixed the issue. But now everytime there is a windows update, if I'm not careful I over-ride this and have to re-install old drivers. Super annoying and how this has been happening since SP1 and is still not fixed is beyond me.

I try running Solidworks (mind you this machine is Spec'd much higher than the Macbook I was using) - Rendering just a basic square drawing was awful... WTF I say!!?!?! - Start digging around and find some random thread about needing to change registry to make video drivers render it properly... FFS more video driver issues... I do it and it's much better now.

I need pressure to work in Photoshop so I slap in Wacom drivers, I haven't been able to get this stylus perfect no matter how many times I try and configure it. I can't run the 100+ multipoint config because of the Wacom driver. Even removing them and trying it doesn't work properly.

Arch mouse Surface edition - It doesn't track on my dark brown couch... Might not sound like a big deal to anyone here BUT every single mouse I have owned has worked here. Whatever fine... I have a mouse pad next to me now. Scroll wheel noise can't be accurately adjusted, it sometimes just loses functionality and it needs to be turned off and on to work, there's no back button (I Knew that when purchasing). I expect more from a $70.00 mouse.

Type Cover 2 - Coming from a Macbook I must admit I can't stand the type cover. It might as well not even have a trackpad on it. The keys are fine, its annoying the backlight turns off every time you leave it for a few seconds. Clicking on the keypad, dragging, zooming, ANYTHING on it is a total pain. It also loses functionality sometimes and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in real quick.

Anyways I still keep it through all this and then Microsoft releases a botched firmware update and unfortunately I was one of those who got affected by it. Shit happens I know I work in Consumer Electronics but something such as charging being broken on a major update is unreal.

Here I am two months later and guess what... The screen now squeeks/crunches on the top left corner like it is coming loose. Any time I touch near the top it makes a noise... You got to be kidding me right?! Now I have to find time to go return it for a replacement. Re-install all my shit again and basically waste a day dealing with this. If I could get refund I would at this point. I mean even with all the stupid problems I wanted to love this and for this to work for me. This Surface has been BABIED there is no reason for this screen to be doing this besides poor workmanship. I'm not the only one with the problem

I put it up on Craigslist to see if I could get any interest, SP2, Type Cover 2, Arc mouse, carrying case, microsd, all kinds of extras even another charger and obviously it's under warranty. I haven't got one email :disappointed:

Xbox one - I swore I watched a video where they miracast from a Surface Pro to the Xbox one. Well that doesn't work.. Play-to function is still in place on Xbox one but it suffers from major a/v sync issues and it's useless because of that. So this setup can't touch my ATV + Macbook combo I was running. Let down again.. Oh I even went and upgraded my router to a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 and hardwired the Xbox with Giga connections direct to the router just to see if I could fix it that way.. NOPE

Subscribed to Xbox music 99.00 a year, 2 days later they run a promo 29.99 then 49.99 - I speak to them and they can't adjust it - say cancel and re-sign up. They cancel me and I can't sign back up at promo price ha ha at this point i'm not even shocked and don't sign back up at all...

As far as getting the Nokia 1020... With everything else I have been through I decided it is not a good idea to put my faith in their phone. I feel kinda stuck here at this point.

I guess in the end i'm just super disappointed to put so much faith into Microsoft and try and get away from the Apple eco-system and sit here with nothing but failures.

I hate to say it but if Apple ever made a Macbook with a detachable screen+digitizer it would be over

/end rant

DragonGamer

Sorry about your bad luck with the surface, but as a Nokia 1020 former owner(now nokia 1520) you can't go wrong with the lumia 1020 :D It is my favorite phone to date and it is a Nokia product, not Microsoft so any issues you may have with microsoft likely won't pop up with Nokia and i hear their customer support is great<3

Lol, Nokia's mobile sector just got bought by Microsoft recently!
But yes, the Nokia has similar good reviews just like the Surface pro 2 has. It's just bad luck what can change the game unfortunately (or wanting to use rather unusual things like that design software on the SP 2) :(

About the replacement issues: As far as I know the company has the right to persist on two attempts to fulfill their responsibility they gave you with the guarantee. That means they could replace/repair your SP 2 two times. If it still doesn't work afterwards, you have the right to opt for a refund. That's what the european laws say at least...

OP
G

godson594

Lol, Nokia's mobile sector just got bought by Microsoft recently!
But yes, the Nokia has similar good reviews just like the Surface pro 2 has. It's just bad luck what can change the game unfortunately (or wanting to use rather unusual things like that design software on the SP 2) :(

About the replacement issues: As far as I know the company has the right to persist on two attempts to fulfill their responsibility they gave you with the guarantee. That means they could replace/repair your SP 2 two times. If it still doesn't work afterwards, you have the right to opt for a refund. That's what the european laws say at least...

Yes they call it the Lemon Law out here in the states. I just don't have the time or energy to battle so hopefully everything is smooth.....

Yes they call it the Lemon Law out here in the states. I just don't have the time or energy to battle so hopefully everything is smooth.....

I am aware of that lol i keep up with Windows Phone news daily(WPcentral) :p But Nokia as we know them now was the one who made the 1020, not microsoft hence why i suggested it :)

I am so sorry to hear the OP had such a bad time/experience with Microsoft & the surface. I always get nervous when i hear things like this. Even though i have owned an RT and now my new Surface Pro and so far no issues, I do worry about anything happening later that people are experiencing now.

OP
G

godson594

I am aware of that lol i keep up with Windows Phone news daily(WPcentral) :p But Nokia as we know them now was the one who made the 1020, not microsoft hence why i suggested it :)

Oh yea I know that ;) I just meant I was holding off on the whole Microsoft eco-system at this point because of my overall experience ( SP2, no widi support on xboxone, AND the crappy experience I had with xbox music) - I figured I better wait till i'm sorted out before adding another Windows device into my mix...

Thanks again -

NGC

It sounds like your "fanboy" attachment to anything by that limiting and controlling Apple will not work for you. Everyone is different. My quirk is my hatred of Apple because of a lack of flash on my Ipad.

OP
G

godson594

It sounds like your "fanboy" attachment to anything by that limiting and controlling Apple will not work for you. Everyone is different. My quirk is my hatred of Apple because of a lack of flash on my Ipad.

I don't even know what you mean by this. Maybe you guys should look up the term "Fanboy" so you can use it properly. I don't care who makes the product, I buy what I think should work for my needs. I own Apple, Microsoft and Google products. Hell I even have Linux on one of my desktops... I'm a fan of technology that's for sure but I certainly don't have a strict allegiance to one brand over another.

Sucks not having flash but I wouldn't even be mad about it. Apple never ONCE said they would support Flash on an iPad so at least you knew what you were getting into before you purchased it.

The things I have complained about are all valid except "widi to xboxOne - only because it wasn't officially announced, only shown on a video"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For the record, it was "Play To" that was shown on the Xbox One Demo, and it works quite well for what it is intended...media streaming (with the exception of protected content). I think that this thread has become quite muddled and needs a crib sheet to follow the Who's Who...

I think the term "Fanboy" has been thrown around flippantly in the thread. I will admit that I'm a fan of the Surface especially the RT variants as many of the issues with the Pro models are common in the x86 platform. Intel has struggled with their Video Drivers and Power Management for many years. It the Firmware Issues are directly related to those two subsystems. I hope that the Surface Team doesn't venture into the ATOM Platform as it is even worse in that eco-system.

OP
G

godson594

For the record, it was "Play To" that was shown on the Xbox One Demo, and it works quite well for what it is intended...media streaming (with the exception of protected content). I think that this thread has become quite muddled and needs a crib sheet to follow the Who's Who...

I think the term "Fanboy" has been thrown around flippantly in the thread. I will admit that I'm a fan of the Surface especially the RT variants as many of the issues with the Pro models are common in the x86 platform. Intel has struggled with their Video Drivers and Power Management for many years. It the Firmware Issues are directly related to those two subsystems. I hope that the Surface Team doesn't venture into the ATOM Platform as it is even worse in that eco-system.

Actually it was widi/miracast - He mirrored screen of surface to a tv, i'll have to find the video.
Play-to doesn't work good on windows 8 - I also posted that there is A/V sync issues on my original post. I wish I was making this stuff up because at this point Play-to is useless.

Yes it sucks the thread has a lot of bickering and nonsense but what can I say. I'm done expecting more out of anyone/anything here.

I'll update this thread as I move along, hopefully I have a new flawless unit soon.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the Demo was the one from WPC last July, he did the "Play To Demo" to the Xbox One "beaming Star Trek" and then did a Miracast Demo to the same TV that has the Xbox One attached but also had a Miracast Adapter plugged in...I use the same setup on my TV in the living room.

Video Demo:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0795...1A1EF79FB!8602&sff=1&authkey=!AG-Nl03OS6AzxCE

[27:44 ] DEMO – Play Full HD Videos to Xbox One console
[28:52 ] DEMO – Wireless Projection in Windows 8.1 with Miracast

OP
G

godson594

I believe the Demo was the one from WPC last July, he did the "Play To Demo" to the Xbox One "beaming Star Trek" and then did a Miracast Demo to the same TV that has the Xbox One attached but also had a Miracast Adapter plugged in...I use the same setup on my TV in the living room.

Video Demo:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0795...1A1EF79FB!8602&sff=1&authkey=!AG-Nl03OS6AzxCE

[27:44 ] DEMO – Play Full HD Videos to Xbox One console
[28:52 ] DEMO – Wireless Projection in Windows 8.1 with Miracast

YES that is the video.

I'm in the office but I swear I didn't see any mention of an adapter being used. To me looks like he was using Play-to to the xbox and then he was using miracast.. Did he say he used adapter? (not being a wise ass I just didn't see it and don't have headphones so can't put it up too loud)

Thanks for the link. That video is what really got me hyped on the XboxOne originally - Hence why I said I wanted to replace my Macbookair+AppleTV setup with SurfacePro+XB1