What's new

I need the Cisco VPN app

ParisSleuth

I can't use my Surface to access my work email. I need a Cisco VPN app but it doesn't exist. I hear rumors that it is coming but until then, boy this is frustrating. Can't access my email, documents -- nothing. Everyone walks around at work with their I pads and I have this Surface machine that does a lot of great things but jeez, I can't access email.! Now I know I should have researched this but not being particularly savvy with these things, I never thought to research this topic. Is there anyway around this?

Hstakz

Im not sure i can help you with your troubles but this might help...
[video=youtube;RuBYUJIaE5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuBYUJIaE5I[/video]

Sin

There are a few threads on Microsoft's site, which provide a bit of details and speculation, but no real information on when if ever there will be a Cisco AnyConnect client in the Windows Store.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest issue for Cisco is that they want direct access to the underlying Kernel, which is not allowed in RT. They want to recompile their x86 client to ARM and not be bothered with creating a Store App like they did for iOS.

Sin

I had the impression that it was something like that. Seems unreasonable and lazy. Funny how everything I have seen from Cisco just talks about how Microsoft hasn't released the API they need and nothing about what specifically they are looking for.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately most of these companies that have proprietary VPN clients want to modify the Kernel, which makes it very difficult to uninstall when needed or troubleshoot and very often conflict with built in functionality of the OS.

ArnoldC

I had the impression that it was something like that. Seems unreasonable and lazy. Funny how everything I have seen from Cisco just talks about how Microsoft hasn't released the API they need and nothing about what specifically they are looking for.

The Microsoft APIs are well documented. Cisco is just playing either dumb or stupid, or isn't that the same? :D