What's new

I screwed myself today. (fresh buy+broken screen)

FlySwatter

Just... wow. Sorry to hear about your experience on both the breakage and the rebuke. I've heard they can be hard asses at some Best Buy's, and others will bend over backwards for you. I've had generally good experiences in my local Macon store, but the exact opposite in the neighboring Warner Robins store. Hopefully, MS will treat you well. Good luck.

wynand32

I'd toss in the "I'm doing you a favor by reporting this" angle. Really, I agree that the packaging design leaves a lot to be desired--mine didn't slip out, but I had a bit of a scare for a second before I realized what was going on.

If you report it to them, then you're giving them a chance to fix the packaging and avoid future issues. I'm not sure if that'll influence their decision, but it adds in at least a little ammunition.

Liam2349

I think if you bought it from Microsoft, they would probably replace it for you. That's what I think, it's what I want to say.

Since you bought elsewhere, I think you need to be honest with the retailer. Complain about the packaging. Tell them you opened it and it fell out, and here's the result. Tell them you want a refund. If you like, you can settle for the replacement they will probably offer you.

Don't leave until you talk to the manager, tell them again and again that it's a problem with the packaging until you get a good conclusion.

kristalsoldier

Personally, I think the OP tried to do the right thing - he went to BB and explained what happened. They refused to help for reasons that are technically valid. If I were in his shoes, I would now opt for MS Complete and take it from there. Yes, it may involve being economical with the truth but sometimes the situation warrants it. I think in the OP's case, now is that moment.

FlySwatter

Personally, I think the OP tried to do the right thing - he went to BB and explained what happened. They refused to help for reasons that are technically valid. If I were in his shoes, I would now opt for MS Complete and take it from there. Yes, it may involve being economical with the truth but sometimes the situation warrants it. I think in the OP's case, now is that moment.
+1
This gets my vote.

Kif

I think complete is an essential purchase. Generally, I'm not a big extended warranty fan but complete offers two years of accidental coverage on an expensive mobile device which is a steal. Also, it's not really your problem that Microsoft is offering an extended warranty without verifying the condition of the device. I bought my SP3 at Best Buy and when I went to register it the complete warranty option popped up for me so I bought it. I also verified with MS support that I was covered.

m98custom1212

I remember co worker hit a some debris in the road (couldn't move out of the way) damaged the tire, wheel and something else. The insurance wouldn't come the damage because it come from debris didn't fall off the truck right when it happened. Yes, the truth got her and she had to pay $1000+ out of her pocket when she had insurance.

fonzman78

I also had my SP3 fall out when opening the box. You would think that after owning the SPro 1 and 2 I would have known better. Luckily, I was sitting and it just fell to the table.

In the OP's case, I think I would just go to Microsoft website and purchase Complete then return after a few days. MS should do a better job of packaging.

raqball

I think complete is an essential purchase. Generally, I'm not a big extended warranty fan but complete offers two years of accidental coverage on an expensive mobile device which is a steal. Also, it's not really your problem that Microsoft is offering an extended warranty without verifying the condition of the device. I bought my SP3 at Best Buy and when I went to register it the complete warranty option popped up for me so I bought it. I also verified with MS support that I was covered.

I agree and I did exactly the same. For some reason the warranty didn't apply and I had to call MS but they got it sorted rather fast.

What I found odd was they didn't ask for a copy of my receipt nor did they want to make sure the unit was not damaged before I purchased it. Either way, I'm happy with the coverage and its a pretty good deal for $149.

mohcho

To the OP - sucks that it happened as you opened the box and hope things work out for you.

I'm going to throw something out here after reading this thread. I do agree that the Surface packaging is lacking in terms of allowing it to fall out of the tray that it comes in, but you can't blame Microsoft completely for those who have slippery hands when unboxing a product. They design the packaging with aesthetics and costs in mind.

If they did make it harder for the Surface to come out of the packaging, we might be seeing threads on how people have cracked the screen trying to pry it out of the box.

Can't always have it both ways, and always be careful with your new shiny tech.

OP
A

a kim

update: microsoft complete has taken care of me. I got my new replacement on the spot! I guess its a blessing in disguise because with out breaking my screen, I wouldn't know about complete and it would be something I would of purchased if I knew about it from the start.