What's new

I would pay $1000 for a Surface 3 if...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something not mentioned. Does the lenovo have an active digitizer liuke the surface? That was pretty much the biggest selling point of the S3 for me. No digitier and pen, no sale.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Lenovo is getting good reviews. It works fine for most tasks but if you try some task like batch photo conversion, it would quickly throttle down but then so would my SP3.

The SP4 will come with Skylake which will be even better and more efficient. Broadwell was delayed and looks to have the shortest product lifecycle of any Intel CPU. It is also why I'm not biting on the Lenovo, they'll be on clearance once Skylake comes out in September.

I've been very happy though with my i7 SP3. The SP4 will be for my wife or maybe I'll get the Lenovo. We also get 2 year warranty here in Australia on the Surface so mine is covered until December 2016. The Surface 2 is still covered until the end of this year.
What I mean by Lenovo not doing a particularly good job implementing Core-M is that with a fan they haven't matched performance of the Intel Reference Design without a fan. Still I'm sure it smokes the performance of an Atom which is why there should be a 10.8 Surface with Core-M. If you ran a Core-M at 75% max it would still beat the Atom.

Do you want the 6 cylinder Mustang or the 8 cylinder Mustang with a little throttling to keep it under control. Maybe that comparison should be 4 cylinder Mustang vs 8. You can floor it in the 4/6 cylinder and it just wont keep up with the big boys.

There will always be tasks it wont handle that's why there are Supercomputers and even with those some jobs are just too big. Every computer ever made has a myriad of compromises in an attempt to make it suitable for the intended tasks while maintaining cost and power requirements.

The reason the upper SP3s are U series vs Y series is for extra performance with throttling vs what could be achieved with Y series parts.

InspectHerGadget

Something not mentioned. Does the lenovo have an active digitizer liuke the surface? That was pretty much the biggest selling point of the S3 for me. No digitier and pen, no sale.
I use my pen but even a lot of SP3 users including reviewers don't use it.

I don't believe the Lenovo is for you. It does have a technology called "Anypen" but reading user reviews no one makes reference to pen input for writing on the screen.

This one would be for my wife and she wouldn't use a pen anyway.

jace88

I use my pen but even a lot of SP3 users including reviewers don't use it.

I don't believe the Lenovo is for you. It does have a technology called "Anypen" but reading user reviews no one makes reference to pen input for writing on the screen.

This one would be for my wife and she wouldn't use a pen anyway.

I am not a heavy pen user but sometimes when I'm on the couch and just need that extra precision for clicking things, the pen is perfect. I think without it, I would've gone the route of many other tablets. That being said the any pen concept seems pretty cool and had I been able to play with a Lenovo Yoga 3 in real life (in Singapore), I might've even ended up with one of those... but for some reason the whole Surface package (including keyboard cover and pen) concept really captured me in a similar way to a certain fruit company's products also have.

EDIT: Scrap that, after reading reviews again I think I prefer that my Surface is a tablet with a detachable keyboard. I know I can fold the keyboard back when it's standing or on my lap but I never do- feels weird to me!

InspectHerGadget

I do miss my SP2 in many ways. If only it were not so heavy, and 3:2 orientation it would be my dream machine.

I REALLY liked my Surface Pro 2. I still think I prefer the writing on this to my SP3, yes really. It was flawless.

The screen size is better on the SP3 but the SP2 had a smaller footprint.

EDIT: Scrap that, after reading reviews again I think I prefer that my Surface is a tablet with a detachable keyboard. I know I can fold the keyboard back when it's standing or on my lap but I never do- feels weird to me!

I think the Lenovo is great for the price but the Surface is great too. The Lenovo doesn't have a backlit keyboard either. The Surface 3 to me is not much of an advance on the Surface 2 and lacks Windows RT and included free Office. My wife liked her Surface 3 the week she had it and it is somewhat faster than the Surface 2. I like the Surface 2 as I don't have to worry about malware and viruses. It has been good except for one system reset I had to do last week so keeping an eye on that.

netuser

Anything is possible.
They could make the next Pro in 2 sizes. 10.8 inch Core M for maximum portability and better battery life and a larger quadhd Broadwell Core i7 for people wanting maximum power and screen resolution.
Making a 10.8 Pro would probably make more sense than a 10.8 inch non-Pro with a Core M and and SSD. Just call it a variation of the Pro instead and get rid of the Core i3 Pro and problem solved.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
methinks the i3 is history. don't think they sold very many

Don't think it was the fault of the i3, more the worthless 64gb of storage. i3 would have been compelling for many if it had different storage options (microSD is in no way a viable workaround imo, way too slow)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think it was the fault of the i3, more the worthless 64gb of storage. i3 would have been compelling for many if it had different storage options (microSD is in no way a viable workaround imo, way too slow)
The token entry level device, the industry loves to offer these devices whose sole purpose it seems is to get you looking then realize you need the upgrade. (See 16GB iPad etc.) Yes they will sell a few but that's not really the intent. IDK why it works or why we have to keep doing it. It's one of those things, it's always been done that way so we keep doing it.

Wouldn't it be a novel idea to only sell useful products and stop crippling products and disabling features just to have a low price point product that you then have to shamelessly defend for being all but worthless.

Edit: To clarify this comment is about the i3 64gb model Pro and former 32gb models.

Last edited:

RémiM

We all have different expectations.

I am personally very happy the way it is. Surface 3 for media consumption and light tasks, and Pro 3 for heavier tasks. Actually, I've been using my Pro 3 95% of the time as a computer while I am using my S3 95% of the time as a tablet.

I am happy with the Atom processor, 4Gigz or ram and 128Gigz of SD. The package is far better than the competition, and one more time I love my Surface device. I am hooked. And very happy to be hooked.

VickiFL

We just bought a Surface 3 for our daughter, and she loves it. I have been experimenting with it, and my own Surface Pro 3. I like them both, and felt guilty, at first, that our daughter's S3 wouldn't be as powerful, but she has had zero problems. She even plays Minecraft on it.