What's new

I would pay $1000 for a Surface 3 if...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just bought a Surface 3 for our daughter, and she loves it. I have been experimenting with it, and my own Surface Pro 3. I like them both, and felt guilty, at first, that our daughter's S3 wouldn't be as powerful, but she has had zero problems. She even plays Minecraft on it.
I hope my comments were not misleading or misconstrued, I don't think there is anything wrong with the S3. Earlier comments about a Core-M based S3 like device are aimed at what I see as an available product gap such a device cold fill. That would mean more choices for the consumer and a tougher decision at times as to which model is the right model but you face that kind of decision every day with hundreds or thousands of products.

RémiM

@GreyFox7 I think it is good that there is a clear gap between S3 and SP3. There is no reason for one product to cannibalise another one.

@VickiFL your daughter has a great device. Very capable, well designed, and beautiful. Much better than the competition.

VickiFL

I hope my comments were not misleading or misconstrued, I don't think there is anything wrong with the S3. Earlier comments about a Core-M based S3 like device are aimed at what I see as an available product gap such a device cold fill. That would mean more choices for the consumer and a tougher decision at times as to which model is the right model but you face that kind of decision every day with hundreds or thousands of products.

No, not at all! I was just posting our personal experience with both. We hadn't even planned to get an S3, but Microsoft talked us into it. They actually talked us out of getting an i5, like mine. They didn't even suggest an i3, which I find a little odd.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am hoping for a Surface 4 10.8 with 4GB RAM, an i5 processor, 128GB storage. Price $700.
That can't happen.

This chart explains why.

in a 10.8 inch 8mm size (green line) you only get slightly more than 4w of heat dissipation to work with. Adding a fan will increase that slightly but not to the extent you want. That's why Core-M is the right fit for the 10.8 size tablet.

An i5 U is 15w maybe down to 10w in SDP mode; off the chart.