What's new

i5 4GB ram or i5 8GB ram

Matuldo

Hello,
im think of SP3, but i need some help.Im going to use it as a regular notebook/ tablet, some sketching-sketchbook pro/ photoshop, photoshoping and some gaming-nothing big..only league of legends and fifa 15.
So the question is which one to buy...4Gb ram or 8Gb ram. If the 4GB RAM is enough?

Thanks and have a nice day

Matej

mitchellvii

For basic daily use, Office, browsing, light Photoshop, etc, 4 GB is plenty IMHO. If however you plan on gaming, you might want the 256 GB SSD anyway.

OP
M

Matuldo

yes bud gaming what i sad, maximum 2games Lol and Fifa15 thats all. Is 4GB enought for that? I dont want laggy deice after 1year.

Thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be inclined to think the 256gb vs 128gb storage is a bigger issue than the 8gb vs 4gb RAM one. Fortunately these are lined up on the same side. 4/128 would likely meet most needs but might occasionally or rarely be challenged. 8/256 would likely meet all needs except those of the pack rat in which case it doesn't matter what you have. :)

OP
M

Matuldo

Ok thanks, i will wait, coz the price is really high for me now. Do you know what was the price drop on SP2 after few months?
Thanks

Have a nice day

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok thanks, i will wait, coz the price is really high for me now. Do you know what was the price drop on SP2 after few months?
Thanks

Have a nice day
I don't know if there was a price drop... there may have been Sales especially around the holidays. The more that SP3 is a success the less likely there will be price drops but Sales are still possible.

Another option I have frequently used for tech is buying refurbished. I have never had any issues with that. Mind you a refurbished unit is in factory new condition, typically includes a warranty and is eligible for extended warranty. I'm not talking about scratch and dent sales or "open Box" which is typically something sold by a retailer that's been looked over and deemed working but may have cosmetic damage and hidden problems they didn't observe when they glanced at it.

Then you also have to consider when budgets dictate the savings of buying 4/128 may be well worth the small sacrifice. 4/8 GB RAM is a bigger deal IF your disk drive is an HDD vs SSD.

OP
M

Matuldo

I have no problem with refurbished goods. Is there any official microsoft shop where can i find these refurbished goods?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no problem with refurbished goods. Is there any official microsoft shop where can i find these refurbished goods?
It might be a bit early for that ... I don't see any anywhere at the moment give it a month. Refurbs can usually be found on Amazon YMMV depending on who the seller is, Newegg, and Best Buy I'm not sure about where for countries outside the US. Not sure if MS sells them directly... Google refurbished Surface Pro 3 and scour the results.

jimaiwr

I was deciding between 4gb and 8gb. If you don't intensely use Photoshop or some CAD software, you'll be fine with the 4gb. Really as a uni student (ENG/DESG) 4gb would probably be enough - my old tablet had 4GB ram and I've only ran into problems (PS or CAD had low RAM warning) 2 or 3 times in 4 years.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind RAM usage includes cached items which will make usage appear a little higher but that's a good thing.

mitchellvii

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an SP3 price drop until the SP4 comes out. Seems this is a popular unit.

Until Sept 6th you can still get $150 off at BestBuy for a student discount and another $100 off with a "Mover's Coupon" from the post office. That's $250 off right there. I got my SP3 15 128 for $750. Taking some online classes and was able to finagle an .edu email address.

Last edited: