What's new

i5 Fan Noise

xterrapro

I'm hopeful the pro will have less noise than the Samsung ativ 700. I want the i5 but have gotten used to atoms silent operation.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I think many people feel the same way. These first generation laptop-tablet hybrids may not fit the bill but within a generation or two Intel and the hardware manufactures will figure out ways to make cooling and fans less of an issue. Surface 3 will likely be totally silent while featuring some nice silicone.

JP

uh60james

I personally would rather have a bit of fan noise over the limitations of running a silent but slow atom. I find myself rarely using my atom powered netbook because it is just plain slow, 8 hours of battery life and silent would be great with a bit more power than today's atoms. Hopefully soon we won't have to make a compromise one way or another.

leeshor

I think many people feel the same way. These first generation laptop-tablet hybrids may not fit the bill but within a generation or two Intel and the hardware manufactures will figure out ways to make cooling and fans less of an issue. Surface 3 will likely be totally silent while featuring some nice silicone.

JP
I'm going to refrain from any jokes. ;)

excalibur1814

I personally would rather have a bit of fan noise over the limitations of running a silent but slow atom. I find myself rarely using my atom powered netbook because it is just plain slow, 8 hours of battery life and silent would be great with a bit more power than today's atoms. Hopefully soon we won't have to make a compromise one way or another.

You cannot compare the older gen atoms with the current new generation. We're talking close to Core 2 low voltage.

bosamar

As long as it doesn't sound like the wood chipper in Fargo it would be okay with me. :big smile:

Russ

I dunno, JP, I already hate the I5 fan noise, and I haven't even received my Surface Pro yet. I'm just trying to get ahead of the crowd.

There is a great article (Editor's Letter, actually) in the most recent print edition of PC World called "Why PC Users Hate Microsoft." I can't find it online, or I would have linked it.

In summary, the author says that people hate Microsoft because they think of it as being like the "electric company." It's just there and it's supposed to be perfect -- no matter what stupid things they wreak upon the software.

Unfortunately, that says more about today's computer user than it does about Microsoft. In a sane world, Bill Gates would have been declared a "National Treasure."

I emailed PC World and asked to be able to link to the article. If I can't find it, I will reduce the article to PDF and then figure out what to do with it. Don't want to jeopardize the forum by doing something unseemly.

I have a few minutes before dinner, so think I will go sit in the corner and hate Microsoft. It is the popular thing to do, ain't it?

Take care,
Russ