What's new

i5 or i7 Surface Pro 4

Welshy

Hi everyone.

I am stuck between an i5 8gb ram (can't get 16gb - not available in uk) or an i7 16gb ram sp4.

I use photoshop, illustrator, lightroom and indesign a lot. Might stream from xbox one to it as well.

Or is it worth the wait on the i7 as we are unaware on how it performs?

Thank you. :)

If it is in your budget I would hold out for the 16gb i7.

The extra RAM will be worth it. The only data point we have on the i7 is that there was a MSFT project manager at the launch event claiming it would benchmark 80% faster over a SP3 i7. It's on one of the Engadget launch event vids.

nirurin

Hi everyone.

I am stuck between an i5 8gb ram (can't get 16gb - not available in uk) or an i7 16gb ram sp4.

I use photoshop, illustrator, lightroom and indesign a lot. Might stream from xbox one to it as well.

Or is it worth the wait on the i7 as we are unaware on how it performs?

Thank you. :)

I have also been looking for a SP4 for illustrator and photoshop and some lightroom (I havent used indesign myself) but I've been deciding between the M3/4gb and the i5/8gb/256..... there really is no point getting an i7 for these programs. If you are going to do video editing (after effects/premier) then sure, but otherwise the m3 with 4gb ram will run photoshop/illustrator and web browsing and stuff just fine anyway.

You'd only need more than 4gb ram on the surface if you do photoshop/illustrator files that are huge, over 1gb in file size (something like 40 megapixel?). If you do that, or you plan to run photoshop and illustrator and indesign at the same time, then the i5.

OP
W

Welshy

Thank you for the replies :)

Some of the work I do has gone up to 1gb, but very rare though... I also have the programs running at the same time as I like switching back and forth.