What's new

i5 vs i7 performance

ptrkhh

tuchas

I have the i5/256 and I am running a VMware virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012. I allocated half the ram (4GB) to the VM and it runs great for software development. No, it's not as fast as a server, but more than adequate. I contemplated getting the i7 but I'm happy that I saved the cash and still can get decent performance.

OP
F

fps_dean

The i5/4gb will meet the vast majority of users needs. There is hardly any typical usage case that requires 8gb of ram.

Well like I said I have no issues with 4gb for the most part on Win8.1 on the Surface Pro 1. But on the desktop and my work laptop, going from 4 to 8 was like night and day!

OP
F

fps_dean

I have the i5/256 and I am running a VMware virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012. I allocated half the ram (4GB) to the VM and it runs great for software development. No, it's not as fast as a server, but more than adequate. I contemplated getting the i7 but I'm happy that I saved the cash and still can get decent performance.

Have you tried running Windows Server 2012 directly? I run Windows Server 2008 R2 on my desktop, runs much better than Windows 7 (it's desktop OS counterpart). I wonder if I could make Windows Server run okay on the Surface, much like Windows 2008 R2 looks and operates just like Windows 7...

I setup my desktop to operate as a server, it's more than enough for my personal projects, none of which are too insane at the moment. So that's my pre-release testbed anyway. I would port it there before uploading it anyway, but the Surface Pro 1 actually performs adequately as well, and is actually more powerful than the desktop computer that I upgraded last year. It's just being the type of person to upgrade something every 5-8 years, I'd go with the i7 if it's worth it.