What's new

i7/16gb/256gb ssd - for lightroom raw editing

m3tpe

Thinking about getting the i7/16gb/256gb ssd model.
I recently got into photography as a hobby and started editing big raw files in lightroom. They're about 40mb+ each file and my current i7 laptop from 3 yrs ago is slow and lagging behind. I want the 16gb model because i might get into video editing since the camera does support high resolution video recording. Also I think 256gb ssd would be decent to hold files. If i need more space, i'll throw in a 128gb micro sd card into the slot, or run a usb3 external hard drive.

what do you guys think in regards to upgrading to the i7 model?

OP
M

m3tpe

I like to order the higher 512gb, but the price jump doesn't seem to justify. I can move the data to the microsd/usb drive/portable hdd. And keep the internal 256gb 1/2 full.

Knuck

If you're only doing photography then the i5/8gb/256 is fine. If you will be doing 4k video editing then I'm not sure if the i7/16gb/512 will be enough. I have one on preorder to test it out. I had the SP3 i7/8gb/512 and it was barely ok for 1080p and grossly inadequate for 4k. I hope the Skylake processor, better cooling hence no throttling and 16gb of memory will be enough although I'm skeptical.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used my SP3 i7 for editing D800 files in Lightroom. I wrote a post about it a year ago. I'll find the link.