What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

bluegrass

I am the type of users that just digs in and learns how to have fun and make good use of my Surface. I don't go looking for problems or worrying about benchmarks etc. With that said, if anyone would like me to identify some information about my i7 8 gig 512 gig Surface, I would be glad to help while it's still a new & fresh. I can tell you I bought into the Surface with the first RT, than the Surface Pro 1, than the Surface Pro 2, & now the Surface Pro 3. I have never heard a fan come on while using any of these.

Box Label.jpg
CPU Info.jpg
MemoryInfo.jpg
New i7 on my work desk.jpg
I must tell you I wear hearing aids and probably don't have the best of hearing even while wearing them. I also must tell you I am a simple man who has been servicing computers for 45 years. I say simple because I look for the simplest solutions to problems and use common sense & history of past problems to solve most of the problems I encounter. I have much to learn about the Surface and with your guys help I'll be very knowledgeable as time goes on.

In most cases you would need to send me precise steps on how to obtain the information you would like me to try and obtain. I know a lot of people want to know about "throttling". I don't know how to measure throttling. I did download a program called CPU Z and will post a couple screen shots I took with my cell phone.

Ruffles

Download a program called Prime95. This application will peg your CPU at 100% manipulating prime numbers. This will cause the CPU to heat up and the fans to kick on etc. It's generally a tool used for people overcooking their PCs because it provides a "stress" test.

OP
B

bluegrass

Both replies shows me what to download to stress my computer but do these give me any results of what the CPU speed runs at before, during, & after the stress. I thought what throttling is, is the CPU is forced to run slower as it heats up, but I'm not sure of where to obtain the CPU clock speed unless it's the CPU Z utility I downloaded and installed.

The CPU Z utility that I run shows my clock speed at 798,1 MHz right from the get go instead of the 1.70 MHz that is suppose to be the normal CPU speed.

infer66

The intel XTU utility will provide you with all the information about thermal throttling and even allow you to tweak your system.

jollywombat

The intel XTU utility will indeed give you what you are requesting. It runs a selectable length burn in test, and will graph your CPU Temperature, Utilization, and frequency over the course of the test. You can see the example of such in the video above.

Regarding the video, looks like it throttles down to 1.7ghz after about 5 minutes of testing, interestingly enough it does not ramp that back up as the CPU cools back down below the throttle limit temperature.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both replies shows me what to download to stress my computer but do these give me any results of what the CPU speed runs at before, during, & after the stress. I thought what throttling is, is the CPU is forced to run slower as it heats up, but I'm not sure of where to obtain the CPU clock speed unless it's the CPU Z utility I downloaded and installed.

The CPU Z utility that I run shows my clock speed at 798,1 MHz right from the get go instead of the 1.70 MHz that is suppose to be the normal CPU speed.
The clock rate is dynamic and under light load will be slower as demand increases it will respond and adjust accordingly. Pretty much all CPUs operate that way nowadays. without this if its 10% utilized and 90% idle it will just idle faster burning more carbon to the atmosphere :)

OP
B

bluegrass

I'll try to get a camera that will shoot a better video but here is one I just shot of the first 5 minute stress test I ran using the IET utility on my new SP3 - i7.

OP
B

bluegrass

Here are a couple screen shots I took with my cell phone of the results from the IET Benchmarking utility. I like this IET utility. It seems pretty comprehensive and a good way we all could compare apples to apples as for as testing goes.
IET Utility Benchmark1.jpg
IET Utility Benchmark2.jpg

OP
B

bluegrass

I'm in an air conditioned office with my Surface on my desk in my cubicle. The office temp is probably about 75 to 78 degrees.

I'm installing the IET utility on my SP2 right now to compare benchmarks & stress test results.