What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

be77solo

My SP3 i5/256 got 340 marks and a SP3 i7/256 sitting side by side got 341.
Exactly what Microsoft needs to see, and others need to realize.... I can't figure out why Microsoft even offers an i7 other than to take advantage of those that don't know better.... shame on you Microsoft! We expect better from such a fine line of products.

jollywombat

In theory it IS faster for having the i7, the issue however is its throttling over extended periods of time running full utilization. For quick/moderate bursts of needed CPU, which is the normal usage scenario for the majority of users, the i7 will be a faster system. If doing extended CPU intensive tasks however, we are indeed seeing the single fan design has its limitations and can only dissipate so much heat.

All this is very unscientific and I am not well versed in computers. But I do have an i5 256GB and i7 256GB in front of me right now. I just made sure both were up to date, I closed all programs, I shut down and rebooted, and ran 3DMarks Demo on both, where you choose Run All Tests. Here are the results, I took vid but it's only showing results, not actually running tests:

i5
Fire Strike: 412
Sky Diver: 1689
Cloud Gate: 3162
Ice Storm: 27972

i7
Fire Strike: 604
Sky Diver: 2542
Cloud Gate: 4818
Ice Storm: 38535

I will run Passmark on both as well at the same time side by side. Again, I am not well versed in these matters. I am a casual user who surfs web, uses office a lot, watches videos. I could probably get by with the i3, BUT I recently won $5,000 in a contest and also got a promotion and raise, I almost make 6 figures, and I wanted to get a present for myself.

I am planning on going back to school for my MBA in January, I want to start learning basic coding, want to start video editing (have done this in past), and figured i5 was perfect but got i7 for only about $125 more so figured why not.

If anyone has any suggestions for other tests I can run, you need to explain what I need to get and how to run it in terms a basic user can understand. I will only have both till tomorrow night as my i5 last day to return is 8/4/14. I can maybe take a video and upload to Youtube. Also my time is short as tomorrow I work 8:30 to 5pm and it's my first day in new position.

I did run Passmark earlier on my i7 and got 2314, but have not yet run on i5 yet.

Last edited:

bkydcmpr

i5

i7
the thermal fragile sp3 made these scores pointless. the best score my i7 got in fire strike is 522, and anandtech got 642 on their sp3 i5.

I think be77solo made a very good point above, i7 probably will be easier to sell when sp4 come out, I think that's the only merit of the i7 model.

sp3 is not the only tablet running slow on i7, fujitsu q704 had exactly the same problem. before sp3 was announced I considered q704 and decided not to buy it because the ridiculous performance. now I understand, fujitsu is not worse than anyone else, it's just a mission impossible with what intel is offering. I was too harsh when criticizing fujitsu on their q704.

Last edited:
the thermal fragile sp3 made these scores pointless. the best score my i7 got in fire strike is 522, and anandtech got 642 on their sp3 i5.

I think be77solo made a very good point above, i7 probably will be easier to sell when sp4 come out, I think that's the only merit of the i7 model.

sp3 is not the only tablet running slow on i7, fujitsu q704 had exactly the same problem. before sp3 was announced I considered q704 and decided not to buy it because the ridiculous performance. now I understand, fujitsu is not worse than anyone else, it's just a mission impossible with what intel is offering. I was too harsh when criticizing fujitsu on their q704.

Yeah, I just ran Passmarks on both side by side and i5 got 2030.3 and i7 got 2048.8. But earlier I got 2314.3 on the i7. Scores seem to be all over the place.

i5: 2030.3
Cpu Mark: 3926
2D Graphics Mark: 645
3D Graphics Mark: 535
Memory Mark: 1792
Disk Mark: 2176

i7: 2048.8
CPU Mark: 4459
2D: 611
3D: 657
Memory Mark: 1886
Disk Mark: 1316

Not sure why Disk Mark is so low on the i7 there. I do think the i5 is very very close to the i7 from what I've read and heard, still keeping i7 since I paid only a $125 difference, and it should keep better resale.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
i5

i7

Both of these results show signs of throttling while the i7, with HD 5000 Graphics, scored much better on these graphics tests. unthrottled the i5 should score in the 46000 range on Ice Storm, the I7 I would estimate to be in the upper 50s to 60s. Even though we are not seeing much differences in some benchmarks some of that depends on what's being tested other variances will become apparent over time. The GPU performance is higher in these tests.

A little tuning yet may improve things by 20-30% but milli watt for mill iwatt the i7 should come out on top overall since the have the same TDP of 15w.

I'm glad you ran that.

pcreyn319

Core i7 benchmark......desktop version that is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 461

bkydcmpr

Both of these results show signs of throttling while the i7, with HD 5000 Graphics, scored much better on these graphics tests. unthrottled the i5 should score in the 46000 range on Ice Storm, the I7 I would estimate to be in the upper 50s to 60s. Even though we are not seeing much differences in some benchmarks some of that depends on what's being tested other variances will become apparent over time. The GPU performance is higher in these tests.

A little tuning yet may improve things by 20-30% but milli watt for mill iwatt the i7 should come out on top overall since the have the same TDP of 15w.

I'm glad you ran that.
if you are looking for references for your future purchase, I'll say do not trust these numbers. sp3 is not like anything you have before, it's very sensitive to its thermal state, you would get totally different numbers in the different runs. my i7 got much lower scores than his, the lowest in fire strike was 466, even after undervolting it'd never gone higher than 560, here are my latest i7 scores this morning (normal core and gpu voltage):

Surface Pro 3 i7 3DMarks.PNG

look like a different computer than his i7, right?

Last edited:

leeshor

Unless all these tests are run on a fresh (fully patched) install with no other software installed and compared side by side none will be nearly 100% accurate.