What's new

i7 or i5 ($42 difference!!)

Nitric

i7 for sure. That's a nice deal you have there.

I am from Malaysia. so just for comparison between the i5-256gb and i7-256gb = Malaysian dollar 4299.00 vs 4999.00 (i7).

I bought the i7 version in november 2014. Fan does kick louder some times but most of the time its just warm and i am using the trident cyclops case with no problem so far.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Speedfan actually do anything on an SP3??? I have not seen anything that reads or affects the Surface fan.

I installed it not too long ago and it did nothing of any use.

Personally, on a machine like this, i just let the machine do as it needs under the assumption that whether i like it or not it's probably for a reason.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has for me, under Win 8.1 and five builds of Win 10 TP now I have a noticeable difference between when I have it installed and running and when I don't. Certain things, like a bunch of Windows updates, will turn on the blower no matter what, but normal operation I have far less fan frequency and noise with it than I do without. Noticeably so.
But does it display FAN Speed?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SpeedFan? No. But there is a noticeable audible difference. Everytime I take it off I end up putting it back on. There was another one - TPFanControl - and I used it on all my ThinkPads over the years. Think there's multiple profiles out there for that multiple machines, haven't checked to see if there are any for SP3s.
AFAIK there's no Fan Sensor (or it's not exposed) in the SP3 which is why there's not any display of fan speed and no control to manipulate the Fan. Maybe Speedfan is manipulating something else and there's a knock on effect but I don't think the ability to monitor or manipulate the fan is exposed by Microsoft, probably with good reason.