What's new

i7 owners: is this fan noise normal? (video)

phositadc

I exchanged my i5 for an i7. The i5 fan sounded like white noise when it came, but the i7 fan is much more of a buzzing noise. This was while running Windows update and nothing else, btw.

See video for noise:

Liam2349

It's safe to expect fan noise when updating Windows. However, this sounds like your fan has dislodged and may require a replacement. You should call Surface support.

OP
P

phositadc

Thanks for the input. I can't catch a break. When I exchange this one it will be my 4th SP3. First i5 had defective battery, so they replaced it. Second i5 had dead pixels and light bleed. Now this defective fan on the i7 (also has bad light bleed but I was willing to live with it until I heard the fan). Fourth time is the charm?

Liam2349

Thanks for the input. I can't catch a break. When I exchange this one it will be my 4th SP3. First i5 had defective battery, so they replaced it. Second i5 had dead pixels and light bleed. Now this defective fan on the i7 (also has bad light bleed but I was willing to live with it until I heard the fan). Fourth time is the charm?

I wish you luck.

grumpy

It's safe to expect fan noise when updating Windows. However, this sounds like your fan has dislodged and may require a replacement. You should call Surface support.

NO, NO, NO! Nothing good will come of that. Exchange it for a new unit at the retailer where you purchased it. If you purchased from MS online, return it for a refund and purchase a new one.

Liam2349

NO, NO, NO! Nothing good will come of that. Exchange it for a new unit at the retailer where you purchased it. If you purchased from MS online, return it for a refund and purchase a new one.

Sounds like he has already done three exchanges. I assumed Surface Support organized returns, refunds and exchanges.

OP
P

phositadc

Hah no worries I'm going to exchange it for a new one. The two i5s were best buy, the i7 was from the MS store. Hoped I would have better luck there, but I guess not. So yeah I probably will just do a refund and a repurchase, to reset the 30 day return window.