What's new

i7 SP3 overheating issues fixed yet?

ctitanic

So running docked, dual monitors with real-time data stream java charting application.
Why did you get an SP3? You need a workstation.

What Marketing hype said you could replace your "Workstation" or "Desktop" they say laptop and always show Ultrabooks. It's fair to say it can replace some devices without replacing ALL devices.
People still believe in marketing. . .

Alexander

A workstation would be absolute overkill for what Jack is doing. Are you two attacking Jack because you think he should be using something like a Dell precision to run those two programs? Entirely inappropriate from a courtesy standpoint, and well uninformed.

Jack, I understand your situation. 60-70 docked most of the time isn't very bad, but the occasional lag and the jump to 90 is an issue. The surface isn't meant for sustained effort like a basic i5 laptop. You would have to be very careful about what is running while using your usual daily programs. I don't think an i7 would help with the temperatures either. These are the limitations of the device given it is stuffed into such a small form factor.

OP
J

Jack Tong

Thanks Alexander for the candid opinion and I agree with you after using SP3 for about a month. The apps I tried to run are not super resources draining. When I heard others are using SP3 for PhotoShop type work, I would think the rendering process would create more stress than a basic charting program and Java based program.

I don't understand the attacks, I always thought this is a very informative forum with mature users. Perhaps we have seen exceptions now.

malberttoo

@Alexander, @Jack Tong, I don't see anyone attacking anyone else. I see some stated opinions, but that is a far cry from "attacking".

Jack your issue with your SP3 is of course legitimate, and this forum is full of really helpful people. I hope you see it resolved one way or another.

From here on out, any posts following mine need to be free of snark or sarcasm.

Alexander

I know I do, I use my steak knives to cut bricks all the time. :D

Apparently, malberttoo you consider this to be a fact. Ok, let's make allowances for the bad behaviour of biased users but not anyone else. If someone asks an honest question and gets snark from other users it does nothing for the forum.

malberttoo

Apparently, malberttoo you consider this to be a fact. Ok, let's make allowances for the bad behaviour of biased users but not anyone else. If someone asks an honest question and gets snark from other users it does nothing for the forum.

I haven't made any allowances for anyone. No one was attacked.

When I look at Grey Fox's words, I wonder if they weren't directed to ctitanic.

Regardless I've said what I've said and this is the end of this subject. Take a deep breath and carry on.

Antitoon

What I see in my case (i7 - 256) is around 50-60 degrees when idle and up to 90 under heavy load. I might have occasionally read 91, but definitely never 98. It gets hot when this happens, but when idle or under light load the fan doesn't spin up. Occasionally, Windows runs some maintenance jobs that will make get warm when it's idle (and stop as soon as I touch my mouse), but this also doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally.

Even though this is hot, I can't see any indication of this not being a normal behaviour, the CPU is cool when it is not under load and the fan doesn't spin up randomly.

kundas1

the problem I see is that some people can't understand how computers work! you want/expect the SP3 to run like an ipad and remain cool! well you know what? the ipad isn't a full computer with i5 4/8 gb of ram and the ipad runs limited programs like IOS BUT then expect the SP3 as thin as an iPad to do heavy load work and the SP3 to not heat up... this is TOTALLY unrealistic expectations!! some of you people need to get with the program! sorry for some of us people getting fed up with this regurgitated topic of heat build up! I for one am justifiably fed up!