What's new

Solved Icon black boxes

RoseGoesToYale

The desktop icons on my Surface 3 have had these intermittent black boxes show up in the lower left corner of them (on the largest size, any smaller and the black box covers the whole icon). Sometimes they’re there, but sometimes after a nap or shutdown or random program interaction, they disappear and the icons look normal, but they always come back at some point. This has been going on since I got it, and does it whether the icons are default or custom. The only unaffected icons are the non-shortcuts (This PC, my folder, and the recycle bin).

Has anyone run into this problem? Is there a solution?
problem.jpg

OP
R

RoseGoesToYale

Never seen that one before. Have you done a Refresh or Reset since you got it?
I got it back in November, so I've restarted/rebooted/refreshed many times. Sometimes they disappear after a restart, sometimes they appear, and sometimes nothing happens.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@RoseGoesToYale

Maybe you are about four months behind in software updates.
What version are you running? Settings, System, About

Might take up to 20 seconds to display.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got it back in November, so I've restarted/rebooted/refreshed many times. Sometimes they disappear after a restart, sometimes they appear, and sometimes nothing happens.
Just to be sure a Refresh is a reinstallation of Windows keeping all your data. A Reset is a reinstallation of Windows and everything is removed (i.e. Reset to Factory Condition).