What's new

I'd like people if they can to run throttlestop 6.0 on their surface pros for a test

marcux

And tell me after running the bench what speed their pro hits, mine idles at 2600 mhz, but drops down to 2300 mhz under load, I believe it's the latest firmware update that removed my speed on my pro 2.

300 mhz drop is a pretty big deal on 4 cores.

let me know if possible what people are getting if they get 2600 during the benchmark "TS Bench"

unclewebb

Does your Surface Pro have an Intel Core i5-4200U CPU?

http://ark.intel.com/products/75459/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_60-GHz?q=4200U

These are Dual Core CPUs with hyper threading. When a single core is active, the maximum turbo boost multiplier is 26 but as soon as both cores are actively working on a task, the maximum multiplier drops. If you click on the ThrottleStop TRL button, it will open up the Turbo Ratio Limits window and show you the maximum multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active. I am guessing that it will show 24 or maybe 23. These are low power CPUs so depending on the CPU load, they might not be able to run at the full 2 core multiplier. The values in the TRL window are the maximum possible. They are not guaranteed values. If you run a more demanding application like Prime95, power consumption will go up and the amount of Turbo Boost will likely go down further.

Free Software - GIMPS

Last edited:
OP
M

marcux

Does your Surface Pro have an Intel Core i5-4200U CPU?

ARK | Intel® Core? i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)

These are Dual Core CPUs with hyper threading. When a single core is active, the maximum turbo boost multiplier is 26 but as soon as both cores are actively working on a task, the maximum multiplier drops. If you click on the ThrottleStop TRL button, it will open up the Turbo Ratio Limits window and show you the maximum multiplier when 1 or 2 cores are active. I am guessing that it will show 24 or maybe 23. These are low power CPUs so depending on the CPU load, they might not be able to run at the full 2 core multiplier. The values in the TRL window are the maximum possible. They are not guaranteed values. If you run a more demanding application like Prime95, power consumption will go up and the amount of Turbo Boost will likely go down further.

Free Software - GIMPS

Ok, that might explain things then, when idle the core is getting 2600 mhz, but as soon as under load drops to 2300, you are right, first core on TRL button is 26 and core 2,3,4 are 23.

I heard somthing that the mhz was lowered in the last update, that's why i was worried that microsoft decided to reduce the clock on the cpu so they can brag about more power savings. But that's not really fair to the consumer.. ;)

unclewebb

It sounds like your Core i5-4200U is running exactly as Intel designed it to run. The instant the second core becomes active, the maximum multiplier immediately drops to 23. When a core enters one of the low power C States like C3 or C6, the remaining active core is allowed to switch back to the 26 multiplier. When lightly loaded, this multiplier switching is going on hundreds of times a second. Most monitoring software samples the CPU once per second and misses what's really going on. ThrottleStop uses high performance timers within the CPU and can accurately track exactly what each thread is doing.

Try running a single thread of the TS Bench test. During this test you won't see the full 26.00 multiplier. The reason for this is that the benchmark is keeping one core active 100% of the time. As soon as Windows needs to process any background activity, it is forced to wake up the second core which drops the maximum multiplier. When Windows is done with its task, the second core goes back into C3 or C6 and the multiplier goes back up. ThrottleStop should show a multiplier in the high 25 range depending on how much background activity you have running but it won't ever show the full 26 multiplier during this test due to Windows. CPU-Z might show the odd flash of 26 during this test but it usually just shows 23 to keep things simple.