What's new

Idle CPU usage

fsmith3x

Good morning all!
I've only had my Pro 4 a couple weeks and I've noticed that the idle cpu usage never falls below 1% (1.7ghz).
My SP3 used to idle lower than this and I'm not sure if I have a bad device or if there is something else going on.

I've reset the device and did all of the updates, but haven't installed anything else yet.

I'm only concerned about the idle issue because it seems to be impacting my battery life.

Have any of you had the same problem?
What does your idle CPU usage look like?

OP
F

fsmith3x

Chrome is installed. It wasn't running while I was watching the perf mon, and I have the option to allow 'running background' apps from Chrome turned off.
Windows defender is the only AV on the machine.
I have reset it and watched it for a day with no system changes - updates only - and it still idles high.
I see a lot of "system and memory compression" activity.

leeshor

A Surface, freshly reset, takes a couple of days to settle down completely.

Chrome can consume battery while idle and consumes a ton of memory/resources even when you aren't using it. Google keeps saying they're fixing that but I don't see much progress.

Philtastic

When Windows 10 is first installed (or you reset/just started using a Win10 device), Windows does a ton of stuff in the background, such as indexing your files and scanning everything for viruses. I would give it a couple of days to settle down before you really look closely at your battery life.

OP
F

fsmith3x

When Windows 10 is first installed (or you reset/just started using a Win10 device), Windows does a ton of stuff in the background, such as indexing your files and scanning everything for viruses. I would give it a couple of days to settle down before you really look closely at your battery life.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try that.
I've had the device for 2 weeks when I noticed the CPU usage seemed high. After going through the process of turning off sync/notification/'hello' features, I began uninstalling software in an attempt to track down the problem.
Eventually I reset it in hopes of fixing it. No luck there. But I'll wait a few days and check back with you all.
Thanks again.

leeshor

If you were uninstalling some of the uninstallable apps they will come back with the next major update, so will some of the background processes. There is a way, as far as I can tell, to really uninstall them using a powershell script, (you can find that info in the master SP4 or Surface Book help thread. I think after a major update they will still come back.

I find those background apps to be a challenge. The only way to stop Chrome, unfortunately, is to uninstall it. Simply not using it is better than not but still not good enough for me.