What's new

IE Not Displaying ESPN.com Embedded Video

JustABreathAway

Hello Surfaceforum.net. I just purchased my 256GB i5 SP3 today while I await the ultimate arrival of my i7 SP3 in 1 month's time. Overall, I'm very pleased with this device. However, as the title of this post implies, I cannot play any embedded videos on ESPN.com using the Modern IE. Anyone else having this problem, and more importantly, anyone know the fix?
To give as much detail as I can, when I click on the video, it appears to load and says 'Your video will resume in 30 seconds.' However, nothing ever changes or loads or plays. I can watch live ESPN content on ESPN3.com and can watch embedded video on other sites.
Thanks in advance fellow SP3 adopters!

IE may be blocking the content. Look in the address bar for a circle with a line drawn through it. Click the circle and select unblock or not block content.

Last edited:

ctitanic

Hello Surfaceforum.net. I just purchased my 256GB i5 SP3 today while I await the ultimate arrival of my i7 SP3 in 1 month's time. Overall, I'm very pleased with this device. However, as the title of this post implies, I cannot play any embedded videos on ESPN.com using the Modern IE. Anyone else having this problem, and more importantly, anyone know the fix?
To give as much detail as I can, when I click on the video, it appears to load and says 'Your video will resume in 30 seconds.' However, nothing ever changes or loads or plays. I can watch live ESPN content on ESPN3.com and can watch embedded video on other sites.
Thanks in advance fellow SP3 adopters!

There are sites that do not play well with IE MUI. have you tried to open that same site with IE in desktop mode?

OP
J

JustABreathAway

A little more info...

This issue occurs in both MUI IE11 and Desktop IE11. Only certain embedded videos on ESPN.com won't load - specifically the soccer clips (which is no big deal for me, except I've been caught by the current World Cup bug). I have a 2 week old Dell XPS Touch All In One with Windows 8.1 that displays the clips flawlessly.

Any thoughts??

PS - No errors or blocks are visible in IE from what I can tell.

Thanks, oh great forum of the internet.

pmorey

By chance is this through the "new and improved" ESPN FC page? I have found that thing to be a nightmare no matter what device/browser I use since they (ESPN) changed it a few weeks ago.

OP
J

JustABreathAway

Yes, or via their regular site at ESPN.com.

The unusual thing is that I have my Dell AIO 27" Touch XPS running Windows 8.1 as a benchmark and can watch the video clips just fine.

Also, I checked out ign's PS4 website. I can watch videos in articles, but when I link to the collections of videos, I cannot watch those. Again, this is unique to the SP3 for me.

Frustrating.

Maybe add it to trusted sites? In IE go to Tools-Internet Options-Security Tab-click on Trusted Sites (has green check mark as icon)-click on Sites button and then in the address field add the main domain, probably something like "http://www.espn.com" (without the quote marks) and then click the add button. Then click the close button, and close Internet explorer and then relaunch it to see if the site plays the video. If it still does not work then try adding it to the compatibility list by doing the following Tools-Compatibility View settings-type in the url without the http:// so "www.espn.com" (without the quote marks), then click on add and then check all of the boxes below (check Display all websites in compatibility view last), then close and close IE all together and relaunch it and see if the website works now. Honestly IE is a pain and has gotten really buggy over the last year or two, I use FireFox when I can.

OP
J

JustABreathAway

Reinstall Adobe Flash.

I will try this. I've tried all other responses in this thread and have not been able to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, Flash behaves as though it is working with the Adobe test functions, it's just that its version 13.0.

I'll give the Flash reinstall a whirl.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can't test as I don't have a cable or satellite provider, I'm watching on Univision...."GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!" If it wasn't for the Xbox One BrazilNow App I wouldn't know what's going on...

OP
J

JustABreathAway

Well, through no fix that I can point to, both sites with video issue I mentioned earlier in this thread are now working.

I wonder if it was site-related, not Surface-related.