What's new

IE10 touch gone?

maddom

Hey guys,

I think that I accidently deinstalled IE10 touch instead of unpinning it from start sometime last week. When I use the search only the desktop app comes up.

I don't seem to be able to find it in the store either, so how do I get it back?

Chrome kind of sucks for touch controls and even though I, as pretty much every developer that has anything at all to do with the web, always hated IE I got to admit that it was pretty nice with the SP. ;)

Igor

If you make your default browser anything other than IE10 the touch version disappears and you can only access the desktop version. The only way to get it back is to make IE10 the default browser again. A very strange decision from Microsoft there.

malberttoo

Indeed. Took me a while to figure what was going on, why only Desktop IE would open, when I wanted Metro IE. Alas, I had set Chrome as my default browser. Would be nice if they remedied that little issue.

Igor

You just "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode" from the menu in the desktop app. However I found the experience was not as polished or as smooth as IE10 with touch.

OP
M

maddom

Hm, that's an odd behaviour.. Going to try it out later.
I'll try out the Chrome tip, too.

Thanks!

malberttoo

Oh yeah, I knew about the "relaunch" thing, thanks for that! Sad to say, all it is is regular Chrome with the spacing adjusted on the menus.

Unfortunately, we are living in a day when some things will just never be developed on certain platforms. I believe Chrome will never get a "polished" Metro app, because they will remain only focused on Android as their go-to touch platform for Chrome. Same with Office on an iPad (which I don't care about, personally), we will never see MS develop Office for an iDevice, as the Surface specifically, and Win 8 tablets in general, will be their offering for Office on a mobile platform.

I find that IE metro lacks full functionality on some of my routinely used sites. It doesn't on the desk top however. Same as Chrome in many respects from what I can see. Very annoying from my perspective. I can't seem to find any more setting to adjust either.

Igor

I find that IE metro lacks full functionality on some of my routinely used sites. It doesn't on the desk top however. Same as Chrome in many respects from what I can see. Very annoying from my perspective. I can't seem to find any more setting to adjust either.

Like what? I haven't really had any trouble.