What's new

IE11 Metro = Heavy CPU Load

dleuen

In Metro-IE? It's not possible "by design". Metro-IE doesn't allow any plug-ins.

No I didn't mean install flash in Metro IE. I meant install flash on your SP3, period. It doesn't make sense that it would impact Metro IE, but in my case it did. Install Flash for Other Browsers as required by Steam lead to high CPU usage by Internet Explorer in task list, fan running, hot back of device, even on pages right here in this forum. Remove Flash, all is well again.

Bandito

The other thing that you might want to try is to uninstall Modern IE by right-clicking on it and selecting Uninstall. You should be able to reload it through the Windows App Store.

OP
romx

romx

So... I didn't touch my hibernated SP3 about 3 or 4 days, during my vacations. After these days (before! Aug. updates) I switch my SP3 on... and Metro-IE start to work normally, without any special interventions, CPU load now about 5-6%.
Arrgh, a hate this "silent coming - silent leaving" issues :(

SOLVED. But not solved, actually.

drzeller

I just noticed that I had an Internet Explorer update applied at 9:23 this morning. I presume it is from and update last night. I'm just posting this here in case it triggers a comment by anyone.

David

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reset Internet Explorer
Microsoft's Instructions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737#manual steps
  1. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Start Internet Explorer.

Note If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
  3. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
  4. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
  5. Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
  1. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

Note Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
  2. When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
  3. Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

drzeller

An update... I discovered that my machine had somehow never applied the Tuesday patches. They were downloaded, but just said "we will download them soon.". So I used the desktop Windows Update screen to install them immediately (can't do that in Metro).

Afterwards, my IE problem was gone, but now I am getting WiFi issues, which I never had during the 2 1/2 weeks I have had the machine.

David