What's new

IE11 Now Showing Some Mobile Sites Instead of Full Sites

Matt

Hi,

Recently I have found a few websites to be auto redirecting my RT to mobile versions of the site. It doesn't matter if I use the desktop IE or the modern UI version. Any one else seen this? Not on many sites yet luckily.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Some sites automatically do that if the don't recognize the connection string (i.e. IE 11). In some cases that is a benefit as more mobile sites are coded to be touch friendly now :)

OP
Matt

Matt

Surface RT 8.1 Preview Showing Many Sites as Mobile Pages

Hi guys,

I mentioned this in a previous thread but the issue is getting worse. More and more sites seem to be switching to their mobile versions with no option to request desktop site. This happens in both the MUI and desktop version of IE11.

Any one else seen this? Any work arounds?

Cheap Laptops, Tablet PC, and Cheap LED TVs | Ebuyer.com is a good test example. Keeps appearing as m.ebuyer.com.

Cheers

Matt

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why you created a new thread, but in your example above click on the White Horizontal Bars on the upper left corner of the site and a drop down will allow you to go to the full site. Moderators can we merge the threads?

OP
Matt

Matt

Ie 11

Not sure why you created a new thread, but in your example above click on the White Horizontal Bars on the upper left corner of the site and a drop down will allow you to go to the full site. Moderators can we merge the threads?

I started a new thread because the comments was in a thread about 8.1 and I got no response.

Thanks for the tip! Wish that feature was on every site. In the mean time the immersive browser app has been getting me by on sites that cause issues. Its a feature MS need to add and preferably before 8.1 general release.

Hi,

Recently I have found a few websites to be auto redirecting my RT to mobile versions of the site. It doesn't matter if I use the desktop IE or the modern UI version. Any one else seen this? Not on many sites yet luckily.

Sorry for the duplicate thread. Please merge\delete this one

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvacha

Is this bad? I prefer the mobile sites - they load faster, consume less of my data plan, consume less of my battery, and have less ads. And since I tend to visit the same sites on cell phones, tablets, and PCs I personally like that a mobile site's formatting looks and feels the same across almost all of them. But that is me.

Hi guys,

I mentioned this in a previous thread but the issue is getting worse. More and more sites seem to be switching to their mobile versions with no option to request desktop site. This happens in both the MUI and desktop version of IE11.

Any one else seen this? Any work arounds?

Cheap Laptops, Tablet PC, and Cheap LED TVs | Ebuyer.com is a good test example. Keeps appearing as m.ebuyer.com.

Cheers

Matt

I've seen that too. It's like IE11 isn't being detected as a desktop browser for some reason. Maybe because it's not full release yet.

pallentx

Sometimes its nice on mobile, but often its not. Usually mobile sites have tiny pictures and visually look bad with sparse layouts and missing content.