What's new

If I go to the Microsoft store with my SP2 will they exchange it on the spot?

macmee

The only problem I have with my SP2 worth fixing now is the sleep crash bug. It's the bug where sometimes coming out of sleep will cause the fan to go on MAX and the device to shut off.

If I go into the store complaining about this bug, even though it's hard to reproduce (unless I stay for an hour sleeping and powering the device) will they just give me a new device on the spot?

I've never been to a Microsoft Store so I don't know what to expect - I recently came to an area where there is one (btw, America ROCKS :D), hence my curiosity.

Last edited:

jollywombat

Typically not unless its within the 30 days of purchase date. They will offer to send it in for you and get an RMA started if they can reproduce the issue going on, but will not swap it in store unless you purchased the Microsoft Complete care package when you got the surface, and even then you will pay the deductible for it ($50, was worth it to not wait 4+ weeks to get a replacement and risk a used surface with issues). If you bought the complete care, by all means go for it, otherwise its not their policy to swap it in-store.

Zkyevolved

With Care you can exchange it for a new one? I didn't know that. I thought they'd send you a replacement (refurbished) even if you broke it.

Nuspieds

Well, as long as humans are involved in a process, the process itself and the outcome will always be unpredictable.

In my case, my SP2 stopped booting, period; it always booted to the UEFI Settings and could not continue further. I have Microsoft Complete and when I reported the problem and requested an Advanced Exchange, the representative told me that the Advanced Exchange is normally only available if you're within the 30-day purchase window. I don't know if that was an accurate statement, but long story short, the representative was able to find a store with inventory and I was able to do an over-the-counter swap.

However, I would think that in the case of the device crashing after waking from sleep, the first response would be to do a refresh. I'd be extremely surprised if they opted for a replacement without first requesting a refresh, since it could be a Windows/software issue.

I've certainly had my share of wake-from-sleep issues; on rare occasions it would blue-screen crash, but most of the times the screen stayed black. Regardless, the end result would be that I'd have to power off and then on again, losing anything I may have had open and unsaved. But for the longest while, though, it has been good and no such issues, so I'm not sure if some firmware or Windows update did something to improve the situation.

jrapdx

Maybe it depends on location, but the local MS Store has been very accommodating. A couple of days ago I stopped in there, one of the staff asked me how much I liked the SP2. I said I did and didn't like it re: firmware bugs, etc. Anyway, I could bring the SP2 in, they'd "tune it up", and if problems serious enough, probably would exchange it.

Actually I did exchange the first SP2 I had for a new one, about a month after I bought it. Didn't seem the time since purchase was a big factor--nothing said about it anyway.

Of course, the folks at the MS Store were all excited about the SP3, arriving this month. Oh well, drop another $1500. Sure, I can do that every 6 months. No problem. Shall we expect the SP4 in December?

Do you suppose it matters that Apple is opening a huge, shiny, glassed-in showroom just 2 blocks down from the MS Store?

That ought to be good for SP2/3 sales, and MS willingness to be "flexible"...

mtalinm

they've always been great to me as well, trying to do whatever it takes to make me happy by swapping the machine.

or maybe they just have a lot of inventory :)

Zkyevolved

I must say that I have been very happy with their support. I was chatting with them the other day and they wanted to send me a new device I had to tell them that it was a firm no for the time being. They were even going to do it in advance. I have to say that that is pretty good CS if you ask me.