What's new

If you don't have problems, DO NOT INSTALL the Jan. 18 Firmware

Philtastic

So, I waited a few days to see if the new firmware was harmful or not. Seeing nothing really negative about it, I decided to install it last night. Now my SP2 doesn't automatically go from sleep to hibernate: went from 100% battery to 70% this morning but wasn't hot. It seems, then, that the new firmware both only fixes some of the problems while inducing the ones not fixed yet, so DON'T INSTALL IT ON A RECENTLY PURCHASED SP2!

daniielrp

I had no problems. I installed it. I still have no problems.

Telling EVERYONE not to install something just because you had a problem is not very helpful.

bamaster

I don't know about this. Reports are largely positive... that this update fixes what the December firmware was supposed to fix.

Edit... I'm a little confused about what the update is, exactly. The official statement from Microsoft is:

"This weekend we released an update that addresses the unexpected wake and battery drain behavior experienced by a small number of Surface Pro 2 customers who installed the December Windows Update. This should have no impact on customers who had not received the December update. We are working hard to deliver the rest of the December update to those customers who had not received it prior to it being removed from distribution.”

Sounds like it is just a fix for the December update problems. So are people who DID NOT install the Dec update getting the Jan update? And it sounds like they are working to release a more complete firmware, which the December update was supposed to deliver. Interesting.

Last edited:

Knuck111

From your post it appears that you have only experienced this issue once. Your reaction is a bit extreme and perhaps premature. Regardless of the December update, it has been suggested, given the fast wake time from hibernate, that you skip sleep and set the SP2 to go directly into hibernate. It is possible that certain processes drain the battery in sleep mode. Your issue may have absolutely nothing to do with the update.

OP
P

Philtastic

It might be a bit premature but I'd rather people who have a working SP2 not run into irreversible problems.

Just had my SP2 go to and stay in hibernate when it was in my bag. I can tell that it went to hibernate because it doesn't wake when you hit keyboard keys or the tablet start. This was not the case this morning where it instantly woke when I hit a key. I did not have this problem over the past 2 weeks prior to updating the firmware. I will test it again tonight (or after a suitably long period of inactivity) and report back.

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

So are people who DID NOT install the Dec update getting the Jan update?

Probably. At the time when the update agent checks what installation packages are relevant, the only information it has to go in is the UEFI driver version (not the actual EUFI firmware version). Especially if people have refreshed their devices, the driver in device manager doesn't reflect the actual firmware on the device, and the installer might not be able to query this. To handle all cases so only certain people get the update is probably more complex than the install mechanism can handle. (speculation)

And it sounds like they are working to release a more complete firmware, which the December update was supposed to deliver. Interesting.

I understand this update was only for the bad sleep issue (the most serious affecting most people). The fake battery capacity problem and others might be coming later I hope.

benjitek

So, I waited a few days to see if the new firmware was harmful or not. Seeing nothing really negative about it, I decided to install it last night. Now my SP2 doesn't automatically go from sleep to hibernate: went from 100% battery to 70% this morning but wasn't hot. It seems, then, that the new firmware both only fixes some of the problems while inducing the ones not fixed yet, so DON'T INSTALL IT ON A RECENTLY PURCHASED SP2!

Works fine on my SP2 after the firmware update, sounds specific to your device -- perhaps you even had the issue prior to the update?

bluegrass

My SP2 256 worked before the Jan. update and it still works. My only glitch and I took care of it was that it no longer shows updates where you normally would look under PC settings. I just created a hot link on the start screen to the Control Panel - Windows Updates and everything shows up fine there.

I disable hibernate mode on any computer that I have to deal with, including all the clients that I setup where I work. I don't get why I see so many people using hibernate. These Surfaces boot and shut down do fast, why do people get hung up on using hibernate. As for as I'm concerned hibernation is for bears, not Surfaces.