What's new

If you don't have problems, DO NOT INSTALL the Jan. 18 Firmware

al2fast

I don't know how to read these event logs but, as far as I can see, last night, I put it to sleep at 1:30'ish but then it woke up at 3:50 (where it should have been hibernating as it is set to hibernate after 60 min of inactivity on battery) and stayed on until I woke up and checked it at 5:55'ish. Attached are some views of the event log since I'm not sure which sections would be most important.
View attachment 1559
View attachment 1560
View attachment 1562
I'm not an expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but that first screenshot has a red ERROR at 1:28 AM that says application hang which I believe is a generic response for a program that has stopped responding. Try clicking on that error and see if it gives you the details below of the program that stopped responding. I'd bet that is the source of your Surface not going to hibernate, because this program is locked up and still running, preventing the hibernate. Kind of like when you try and power off a computer and you have that program that is not responding and Windows prompts you to wait for the program to respond or to force the shut down.

manonthebrain

my sp2 is working awesome. i had some sleep issues out of the box (clean slate, vanila pre any update) and this update actually fixed all of my problems. i got my sp2 after the plague went around so i havent had any issues from that specific update.
anyways, just updated it and it working just fine.

drolem

I disable hibernate mode on any computer that I have to deal with, including all the clients that I setup where I work. I don't get why I see so many people using hibernate. These Surfaces boot and shut down do fast, why do people get hung up on using hibernate. As for as I'm concerned hibernation is for bears, not Surfaces.

Just an FYI, when you shut down a Surface Pro or Pro 2, it does a 'kernel hibernate'!! :eek:mg:
See: Watch Windows 8 boot in eight seconds, thanks to kernel hibernation | The Verge

Since the Surfaces hibernate anyhow, I'm not sure why people are trying to avoid it so hard, or get hanged up on it. ;)

Nuspieds

My SP2 worked well before the January firmware update and continues to do so after the update.
No problems to report whatsoever.

OP
P

Philtastic

I'm not an expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but that first screenshot has a red ERROR at 1:28 AM that says application hang which I believe is a generic response for a program that has stopped responding. Try clicking on that error and see if it gives you the details below of the program that stopped responding. I'd bet that is the source of your Surface not going to hibernate, because this program is locked up and still running, preventing the hibernate. Kind of like when you try and power off a computer and you have that program that is not responding and Windows prompts you to wait for the program to respond or to force the shut down.

So this is what the event log says about that application hang:
Screenshot (14).png

Not sure how important that is.

I've tried having my SP2 off overnight and it seems that the auto-boot problem is not back, so that's good. I did have one crash on wake up from hibernate where the screen stayed black and I had to hold down the power button to shut it off and then boot it back up. Not entirely sure if that's from the firmware or just that I had a 1800'ish page pdf open in the Drawboard PDF app when it went into hibernate.

macmee

So this is what the event log says about that application hang:

Not sure how important that is.

I've tried having my SP2 off overnight and it seems that the auto-boot problem is not back, so that's good. I did have one crash on wake up from hibernate where the screen stayed black and I had to hold down the power button to shut it off and then boot it back up. Not entirely sure if that's from the firmware or just that I had a 1800'ish page pdf open in the Drawboard PDF app when it went into hibernate.

You could call Microsoft and set up an advanced exchange. If you don't mind waiting several weeks, eventually you might get a new device.