What's new

if you have a Spro1, MS complete care, and want a Spro2, read this!

oion

How long does a person have that they can add MS complete care to their device? I got my pro in August.

Probably 45 days from date of purchase, the same it is now (see sig about registration). I don't know if anyone on this forum can attest to this method of "trade-in," but I'll quote your post in the registration thread ;) as that would probably increase temptation. I wonder if this also applies to the Surface RT line, though.

Ruffles

Dang it! I wish I had known about this. I sold my SP1 128 with extended warranty on eBay for $700. After subtracting eBay fees ($78) and PayPal fees ($23) and paying for shipping with insurance, tracking and signature confirmation ($42), I only ended up with $557. My SP2 128 upgrade cost me $443!

Why didn't MS make this well known???

oion

Dang it! I wish I had known about this. I sold my SP1 128 with extended warranty on eBay for $700. After subtracting eBay fees ($78) and PayPal fees ($23) and paying for shipping with insurance, tracking and signature confirmation ($42), I only ended up with $557. My SP2 128 upgrade cost me $443!

Why didn't MS make this well known???

Keep in mind that the note in OP is entirely hearsay: A support rep told a user who reported to the rest of us.

Now, I made the mistake of not skimming the entiiiire thread at the time, but reading down, it looks like others have checked the veracity of this and (1) it's certainly not official MS policy and (2) won't work. I've also deleted reference to the rumor in my registration thread since that would just add confusion.

Sorry, but looks like MS is being totally normal about this, so you didn't lose anything (because you actually used your Pro 1).

Falling back on the industry standard: No company allows consumer-grade computer trade-ups based on only a price differential, because they get more money out of selling new devices at full price rather than selling new devices at price difference and refurbishing and trying to sell the old units. This makes sense.